Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long would you leave it? 15 days of 'viral infection' in 18 month old

(9 Posts)
MrsTatum1980 Sun 27-Mar-16 15:57:43

Simply put, we're now on our 15th day with an unwell 18 month old. Visited doctors 10 days ago with a temperature of 40.1 and told it was a viral infection. Little one lethargic and very sad, sent home from nursery on 2 occasions. We've had 10 days of being very up and down but simply put, not himself! Obviously it's hard not to be emotive when it's your little one but he's pretty pathetic and clearly feeling so sorry for himself. He's gone from a chunky destroyer to a feeble, sad little one.
Last week he had his first febrile seizure at nursery which scared us to death (and has possibly made me a nervous wreck!) and was admitted to hospital. Yet again, hospital declared a viral infection and now 3 days later (on day 15) we have a temperature of 39.2 and a baby not eating and so lethargic it's heartbreaking.
Having been told by both GP and doctor on Friday that it's viral I feel I'm bothering a doctor again but surely after 15 days he'd be slightly better? We are still having wet nappies though massively reduced ( a wee at the most even overnight as opposed to huge soggy nappies) and baby is no longer drinking any milk or eating but will have small amounts of juice/water! Any advice? Do I become that parent and attempt the doctors again? Or is it simply a viral infection and they take a while to recover. Both Gp and hospital said red inflamed throat and ears but not enough to be bacterial.

Stephlrm Mon 28-Mar-16 10:25:09

My two year old has a cold that started in January, viral infection since mid February. For almost 9 days he's had a 40 plus fever, upset, lethargic, loss of appetite and quite dry nappies- like your LO. We have been to the GP twice, referred to the hospital to be told that it is just a viral infection and to lower the fever as I had been doing with ibuprofen and paracetamol. Two days ago I went back to a&e, to be told he has a bad throat infection that needs a strong course of antibiotics. He seems to be a little better today, still has a temperature. Trust your gut, take him back to the doctors. A fever lasting more than 3 days is not okay.

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 28-Mar-16 15:53:41

What I was told is that if fever doesn't go down with calpol then it's bacterial... Is that the case for your baby?

DingbatsFur Tue 29-Mar-16 07:05:08

Keep on the Drs! We
Had a diagnosed viral infection that ended up being something very nasty indeed after no improvement over 15 days. Trust your instincts if he is not getting better!

IwillrunIwillfly Tue 29-Mar-16 17:27:07

If he's still having temps as high as that I think it'd be completely reasonable to get him checked over again. It's possible that it is all viral but it's possible he's picked up another infection as well. Has he had a urine sample checked for infection? If not, and you do end up getting seen again might be worth bringing a sample in a sterile pot so it can be checked.
Don't worry about not eating as long as he's drinking, but worth getting some sugary juice if he isn't eating anything so he gets some energy from it. If his throat was red when he was checked out before it might be sore, so you could try giving him a dose of paracetamol or ibuprofen half an hour before offering him something Robert and see if it helps? Hope he's better soon!

IwillrunIwillfly Tue 29-Mar-16 17:53:05

To eat, not Robert!

DrAmandaBentley Tue 29-Mar-16 18:33:13

My daughter had a viral illness, took 3 weeks for her to recover and multiple A&E visits. They tend not to do anything if they're not seriously ill, and not deteriorating rapidly.

bumbleymummy Wed 30-Mar-16 10:16:29

No, I wouldn't be happy with 'viral infection' at this stage. I agree with those suggesting getting his urine tested.

Does he have any of the other symptoms of Kawasaki disease ? It's very rare but worth considering with a fever over 5 days.

MrsOs Wed 30-Mar-16 18:12:42

Go back to Drs and get him checked again. Go with your gut and don't apologise for it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now