Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old with vaginal discharge, do I take to GP?

(9 Posts)
toomuchhappyland Sat 26-Mar-16 13:18:19

Yesterday at bedtime I noticed dd had a few dark yellow stains in her knickers. She's got some again today, more a creamy-yellow colour and not as much but definitely there. She's not scratching and says it isn't sore. I've had a quick look and her labia don't look red or inflamed. She's not been on antibiotics so no reason to have thrush and I haven't changed washing powder or used harsh bubble bath or soap. It's just freaking me out a bit tbh as I don't know if this is a normal thing for young girls or not? She's only recently gone into knickers, about 6 weeks ago, but I've never noticed it before. Do I need to take her to GP and if so do I get an out of hours appointment tomorrow/Mon or wait until normal hours next week?

Imnotaslimjim Sat 26-Mar-16 13:20:22

My DD is 8 and has never had discharge as far as I know. I would consider having her checked over

Avebury Mon 28-Mar-16 23:17:52

Are you sure it's discharge and not just stains from not wiping properly?

gamerchick Mon 28-Mar-16 23:20:35

Has she maybe shoved something she shouldn't have? Its surprisingly common.

I would keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or develops a smell then take her for a check up.

UterusUterusGhali Mon 28-Mar-16 23:21:50

It's normal isn't it?
This is how the vagina cleans itself.

I remember my dd had the same. A bit worried I wasn't worried at the time now. blush
You might just be noticing now she's in big-girl pants.

Ikeameatballs Mon 28-Mar-16 23:24:31

I really wouldn't be concerned unless she complains of soreness or the discharge is foul smelling.

It might well be vulvovaginitis, a common condition in pre-pubescent girls. It can be irritating but isn't serious.

toomuchhappyland Tue 29-Mar-16 20:30:42

Thanks guys. Since I posted she's had a couple of days of nothing then a tiny bit tonight so I don't think it's anything serious. UterusUterus I wasn't sure if the self-cleaning mechanism kicked in thus young, or if that's only after puberty? I can't remember having any discharge myself until I was 10 or so, which is why I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 29-Mar-16 20:44:16

My dd used to have this, I took her to get swabs done eventually to make sure it wasn't thrush or bv but they came back clear.

Fugghetaboutit Tue 29-Mar-16 20:51:41

Pretty sure we have discharge soon after birth. My dd does and is 3 months old, midwives said normal and heathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now