Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Severe complications related to influenza b

(7 Posts)
Girliefriendlikesflowers Thu 24-Mar-16 17:25:55

Anyone else had a child end up seriously ill due to flu? My dd (10yo) previously fit and well ended up in PICU over the wend as her throat had swollen up so much she couldn't breathe. Terrifying as am sure you can imagine sad

Have been told this is a 1 in a million case, just checking if anyone else out there has any experience?

TIA

beautifulgirls Fri 25-Mar-16 20:55:52

Not related to flu specifically but had a child unexpectedly seriously ill in PICU. It feels surreal that you are going through this and when looking back felt more emotional to me than the actual time we were there. I think you kind of fall into autopilot at the time as really you have no choice but to go with the professionals. Take some time to reflect on things and realise that you have all been through a lot emotionally here.

My daughter spent 10days in PICU and another 11 days in hospital after that plus a lot of further treatment afterwards, but nearly 5 years on now she is a lively 6 year old and doing really well in life. For the most part she has sailed through further illness as most others would with one blip that is not related to her previous issues and just also bad luck.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 25-Mar-16 21:47:40

Thanks for replying beautiful yes that is exactly how it feels, at the time was completely surreal and I felt sort of detached from it all but have felt very tearful since coming home. My dd was only in PICU 2 days and that felt like a month, I can only imagine how long 10 days would have felt.

Glad your dd has been fine since, my dd is also doing well but I am finding it quite hard not to panic over every little thing!!

Badoodle Fri 25-Mar-16 21:51:46

So sorry to hear your DD hasn't been well.

My DD was in hospital for 10 days with swine flu some years ago, when she was 16 months old. It was terrifying. She went from being a happy, smiley baby with what I thought was a cold to being in a hospital bed 24 hours later - on a drip, tubes coming out of her nose, really unresponsive and with a temperature they struggled to bring down for days sad.

She recovered well and is now a healthy, cheeky 7 yr old. But it is so scary and very sobering. It gave me a tiny glimpse in to what those parents with seriously ill children must go through.

Wishing your DD better and flowers for you.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 25-Mar-16 22:03:21

Badoodle yes and me, I think maybe we have become a little bit complacent over flu, I certainly never considered that it would be a dangerous illness for dd to have, unpleasant yes but not life threatening sad

It was a similar story with dd, she had a high temp and slight sore throat for a couple of days but on day 3 went drastically down hill. I called an ambulance when I felt her breathing wasn't right and within 2 hours she was on a ventilator shock just so shocking and frightening. She needed iv steroids, antibiotics and anti virals but responded well after 36 hours or so.

Fizrim Fri 25-Mar-16 22:08:29

Sorry to hear about your DD, glad she's doing well now.

I know that something similar happened to an adult - started as a sore throat but they also ended up in ICU unable to breathe - we were shocked how fast it all happened.

beautifulgirls Sat 26-Mar-16 09:45:37

Glad to hear she is doing well now. Yes, I can relate to worrying about everything small at the moment. It gets better as time goes on though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now