Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

fungus on scalp 2.5 year old

(3 Posts)
babynelly2010 Thu 24-Mar-16 14:06:09

My DS got a bald patch about 2 months ago. In pure panic we run to GP who gave him general over the counter cream for fungus like athletes foot type thing. It did not not work and we were given steroid cream to stimulate hair growth which did not do much. Yesterday we found a very flaky patch on his head in another area. He came back to GP who now confirmed a fungus but requires referral to dermatologist to prescribe strong medication as he is so small they can't to it at GP. He is loosing hair, I am terrified but they said its not ring worm. Anyone with experience on this, is he going to grow hair again, how long for this to go away?

Junosmum Thu 24-Mar-16 22:34:38

My sister had this, she was about 3. She's now 26 and has a beautiful head of hair. It took around 18months from treatment to normal hair, but she's a girl with longer hair so should be less for a boy/shorter hair.

babynelly2010 Sat 02-Apr-16 00:37:29

thank you for your response. I ended up getting private dermatologist. Looks like he does not have fungus after all but does have alopecia spot and eczema.
very scary about alopecia but he seems growing a hair fuzz there. I am hoping it will resolve itself but the doctor said it could really resolve or more hair could fall out, very scary as he said they just can't predict anything with this decease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now