Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Joyrides travel sickness pills

(11 Posts)
Mariat06 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:04:05

My granddaughter suffers from really bad travel sickness, even 15 minutes in the car causes her to throw up. The problem is she is only 2 years, 9 months old. We thought we had cracked it when we read about Joyrides, but they are nowhere to be found, and I've just phoned the makers who told me that they are 'Long term out of stock with no date for availability'. Now, Kids Kwells have the same active ingredient at the same dose, but they are marketed for 4 years plus, whereas Joyrides could be taken from 3 years. We are taking her to Devon in June, when she will be 2 weeks short of 3 years, and face a 6 hour car journey. Seeing as Kwells and Joyrides have the same ingredient at the same dosage and Joyrides can be given at 3, would it be safe to give her Kwells? We've tried wrist bands with no luck. She will be feeling really poorly by the time we get to Devon if we can't find a solution.

madamginger Wed 23-Mar-16 11:08:51

I would, joy ride have been out of stock since 2013!
My ds2 gets very car sick and I've given him half a kwells since he was 2. He's 5 now and we've moved on to a full tablet.

Mariat06 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:43:25

Thanks for that. I've just been trawling the net and came across Dramamine for kids, only available in the US but can be used from 2 years. Very luckily, my granddaughters aunt is in New York ATM, and is going to bring us some back. But it's good to know that there is also have the choice of the Kwells Kids if we need it. Not at the same time obviously!

IronicallyGlitterball Wed 23-Mar-16 11:52:42

Madam, did the half-tablet work? My almost 2yo DS has terrible car sickness and we're at a loss with what to try next. smile

madamginger Wed 23-Mar-16 13:00:22

They work most of the time, they do wear off though and I have to give a second half if we are driving long distances. A couple of years ago we were driving from Manchester to Belfast and his dose ran out somewhere north of Carlisle sad it was a mad dash to catch the sick.
Phenergan is suitable for 2 and over but it can be hard to buy

IronicallyGlitterball Wed 23-Mar-16 14:17:32

Thanks, Madam, I'll get some and try half a tablet.

I know all too well the frantic dash to catch vomit. sad We're currently covering him with a small towel/blanket and tucking it in so that if/when he vomits it covers that rather than himself or the car seat, it can then be bagged and replaced with a fresh one so he's not having to sit in a smelly seat. I'd sit in the back with him to make it easier to catch, but that makes me travel sick! If we could I'd just avoid going anywhere in the car, but where we live we have no choice but to drive everywhere. <sigh>

Good luck with things, OP. smile

Awholelottanosy Wed 23-Mar-16 14:23:28

As an adult I find eating things like crisps or biscuits, especially ginger ones helps. Also sucking on boiled sweets. Bit obvious but something to consider if you haven't tried it?

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 23-Mar-16 14:32:48

There was a whole thread about this the other week though not too much about the tablets as I think the child was still v young.

Useful suggestions from that one:

Don't travel too early in the morning or on an empty tummy (plain food with not too high a fat content is good as well as nothing to strong flavoured such as egg) e.g. Toast with a little spread and a small drink of water)
Try to travel at nap time as much as possible
Dry snacks such as plain crisps/crackers/dry cheerios for snacking during the journey together with sips of water
Place the car seat in the middle if possible and keep the car as light, cool and airy as you can.
Keep a Tupperware type box with kitchen roll in it for dealing with emergencies

IronicallyGlitterball Wed 23-Mar-16 15:20:53

Ginger biscuits seem to make little difference at the moment, and he's too young for boiled sweets, I think?

We've got seabands which seem to help so long as he's not recently eaten and falls asleep ASAP so he doesn't pull them off! Avoiding dairy has been the biggest help so far.

The main issue is where we live - even the closest things are a 30 minute drive away and so it's nigh on impossible to schedule going anywhere and manage to avoid all the risk factors!

I'd not heard about sitting in the middle, so I'll get DH to see if the car seat can fit on the middle seat. I've also been avoiding allowing him to eat whilst travelling, so hadn't considered that it might help. I'll try some dry Cheerios or something next time.

Has anyone tried the static strips that hang on the back of the car? I've no idea if they're even still available, but they were common years ago.

Thank you so much for all the tips! Sorry to derail, OP. smile

Mariat06 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:29:55

Even if my GD has only dry toast and water to eat beforehand, she still gets sick. Nothing we've tried has helped. She can't use the middle seat as her mum has to sit there to be able to tend to my GD and her baby brother on the other side. If these pills from the US or the Kwells don't work, I don't know what the answer is.

HeilandMoo Thu 24-Mar-16 20:33:42

We found sitting on a "magic newspaper " really helped too. It's an old school bus trick but for some reason, it really worked, even with the pupils who were sick on short journey's. Sitting on the newspaper for our epic long ( Scottish windy road) trip was a vomit free affair.

It's apparently to do with a reduction in static from the seat to clothing - totally worth a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now