Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does she need a ECG?

(3 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Mon 21-Mar-16 19:34:52

Recently posted that Dd had a heart murmur picked up by ooh dr when suffering from a very high fever. Took her to see our own GP today and he examined her and said he couldn't hear anything so no further action required. Is this standard? Just wondered if I should pushing for a ECG? Is there nice guidelines on this?

stitch10yearson Mon 21-Mar-16 19:37:42

What you want is a second opinion. Make an appointment at your GP with a different doctor and explain your concerns.

Ebb Wed 23-Mar-16 14:41:42

The G.P picked up a heart murmur in my DS when he was 9mths old and I'd taken him to the Doctors with a chesty cough. The Doctor explained that it's quite common to hear a heart murmur in children when they're poorly. If the Doctor couldn't hear a murmur when you took your DD back then I'm sure she's fine but there's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion to put your mind at rest.

When I took my DS back, the murmur was still there so he was referred to a Cardiologist and diagnosed with an aortic stenosis. He's not needed treatment yet and is now nearly 8. He will eventually need the valve replaced but hopefully not for a while yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now