Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox? What else could it be?

(25 Posts)
toptomatoes Sun 20-Mar-16 19:07:17

DD is 3 and woke with a rash on her face on Friday morning. It seemed to develop into small blisters so I thought chickenpox and kept her off pre school. 2 days on, I'm still not sure if it is chickenpox. It's only on her face although there have been a couple of possible spots elsewhere. Shouldn't it have spread? Is there anything else it could be? She was a bit under the weather beforehand but fine now. No fever. Very little itching. Pic attached!

Pico2 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:14:43

I've known two children be diagnosed with CP only to turn out to have hand, foot and mouth. But the giveaway for them was that the spots were on hands, feet and in their mouth. So that's probably not what your DD has.

RandomMess Sun 20-Mar-16 19:18:26

impetigo?

urgh can't think of the name of the other thing that is a virus and contagious and has little blisters...

RandomMess Sun 20-Mar-16 19:19:07

molluscum?

RandomMess Sun 20-Mar-16 19:20:49

curemolluscumcontagiosum.com/family-molluscum-treat-cure-guide/

toptomatoes Sun 20-Mar-16 19:57:00

Thank you. It doesn't really look like those either although it could possibly be any of them! I think I'll have to ring the GP and see if they can see her tomorrow. I was reluctant to take her in case of passing it on but I'll see what they say.

ArielBelleElsa Sun 20-Mar-16 20:35:23

My daughter started with small, clear blisters on her face which took 4 days to become red and angry chicken pox. She then had a pretty severe case, so could be the start of chicken pox which hasn't yet fully come out...hopefully it's not though

ArielBelleElsa Sun 20-Mar-16 20:37:14

Ps to me, your lo looks like she has a cluster of blisters on her nose there so my non- medical guess would be chicken pox.

toptomatoes Sun 20-Mar-16 20:42:46

Thank you, Ariel. It still could be then. It looks most like chickenpox but I'm just not sure. DS had it much more obviously!

ArielBelleElsa Sun 20-Mar-16 20:50:43

Yes if my dd is anything to go by for several days I wasn't certain and suspected it was a mild case until day 4 when she suddenly developed loads and they became the typical angry red blisters.

ArielBelleElsa Sun 20-Mar-16 20:52:07

Oh and the ones on her body didn't come out until around day 4 either. Her first blisters were on her face.

toptomatoes Sun 20-Mar-16 21:12:35

Thank you. I'll keep inspecting her!

LillyBugg Sun 20-Mar-16 21:15:09

Could just be a virus of some kind. My DS had one recently where the spots were on his mouth, the tops of his legs and a few on his tummy. Doctor confirmed it wasn't chicken pox. Looked like hand foot and mouth but no spots on hands or feet. So the doctor was puzzled. The spots cleared and then the skin on the end of his fingers and toes peeled back. It was the most bizarre thing ever. And I still don't know what it was.

Frustratedmummy79 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:44:14

My son had something almost exactly the same. Bit under the weather a couple of days before then woke up with spots all round his mouth. Over the next couple of days he developed about 5 more spots on random parts of his body but no itching. My friend who's a paediatrician wasn't sure what it was either shock but felt it was most likely chicken pox. As we never really got to the bottom of it we will just have to see if he gets chicken pox when it goes round again!!! Not much help, sorry!

BlossomMagic Sun 20-Mar-16 22:28:34

It looks like hand foot and mouth to me

finalfive Mon 21-Mar-16 05:52:08

One of my DC had something similar - cluster of spots around mouth and some clear chicken pox like blisters on arms and legs. No itching and not particularly unwell. Doctor was baffled but said most likely chicken pox but not a typical presentation. Ruled out hand foot and mouth as no spots on palms, feet or in mouth. A couple of days later sibling got obvious chicken pox. Then two weeks later first DC got definite and obvious chicken pox. Still puzzled as to what first thing was!

insancerre Mon 21-Mar-16 06:23:03

It doesn't look like chickenpox to me
It does look like hand foot and mouth

toptomatoes Mon 21-Mar-16 09:13:12

Thank you all. It's nowhere else, that's it. Looks more scabby today. Had a bit of a show and tell at school drop-off and no one was sure so off to the docs we go. I can't send to the childminder or pre school like this so work will want to know when I can go back!

Squashybanana Mon 21-Mar-16 12:23:58

I don't know what it is but my DD has the same thing. Tiny pinprick sized spots on her nose and round her mouth. Hers isn't chickenpox as she had that years ago. I did wonder if it was some thing to do with this horrible infection going around, the throat / headache/ cough/temperature one. She had that in Feb and has been a bit run down ever since. Can't wait for Easter hols for a rest!

ArielBelleElsa Mon 21-Mar-16 19:41:32

What did the doctor say?

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Mar-16 20:10:55

Not CP. I don't know the other conditions.

toptomatoes Mon 21-Mar-16 21:48:56

Doctor was pretty stumped too. He called another doctor in to take a look as well. They said could be atypical impetigo or atypical chickenpox. He gave us antibiotic cream to see if it helps. She's pretty scabbed up now so he said she should be fine to go to the childminder. What are the chances she comes down with loads of spots overnight now!?

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Mar-16 21:53:34

DS got a cluster of spots which had us guessing whether they were or were not CP for 5 days and he stayed off nursery al that time just in case. On the night of the 5th day, the rest of his spots exploded all over his body in a horror-movie style.

toptomatoes Mon 21-Mar-16 22:03:55

Noooooooo! Go away! It's definitely going to happen. Sob.

ArielBelleElsa Tue 22-Mar-16 08:45:45

Puzzling...more spots should be popping out by now if CP....you'd know for sure if it was, unless it's a v mild case?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now