Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

nursery children - ill every weekend?

(11 Posts)
Sweetpeasandcarrots Sat 19-Mar-16 05:41:33

My nursery DD is ill every weekend with a cold / tummy bug.

Is this common?

littone Sat 19-Mar-16 06:40:34

When did she start nursery? She may be building her immune system. I have three children who have been at nursery. Only once do I think a tummy bug has been picked up, but lots of colds especially in the first 6 months.

curren Sat 19-Mar-16 06:45:11

Both mine got sick quite a lot in the first few months. It can be completely normal.

However about 6 months in ds then started being sick every Friday night. He went to nursery on a Friday. Dh went down before lunch on a Friday to speak to them about it (he works with food and concerned it was a hygiene issue) looked through the window and saw their lunch sat on the side from about 11.15am. They didn't eat until 12.15pm.

Dh brought ds home and he never went back.

Sweetpeasandcarrots Sat 19-Mar-16 12:23:10

My DD started in September. The first term was ok. It's just this term she's gone downhill. I suspect she's run down. Hand washing isn't upheld much there too

Flumplet Sat 19-Mar-16 12:29:21

My ds was the same the first winter of nursery. It was quite literally one bug after another for a few months (and sometimes the bugs would overlap so he'd have a cold and a tummy bug at the same time which was not great). From the spring onward it gradually improved and he's now Unwell a "normal" amount for a 4 year old.

Naty1 Sat 19-Mar-16 12:48:24

How old?
Which days does she go?

My dd (3.8) has been ill constantly since starting in sept.
Hfm. Then uti (?) and ear infection every 6w.
Now vomiting.
Colds every few weeks.
She was more a cold every few months before sept.

Things like hand foot and mouth and also adenoviruses can cause upset tummy. And say hfm stays in poo for a month so easy to catch at nursery. (There are a few different strains too)
There seems to also have been a lot going round this yr.

Dd also has an allergy and they are giving her food with it in so may explain her illness.

Are you catching the sickness? As thinks like hfm you are likely immune to (none of the rest of us got it) but she caught it within 6w of starting.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 19-Mar-16 13:15:15

Same here, ds2 is 18 months has been at nursery since 12mo and the last 4 months is shocking how bad he is... One cold after another , no tummy bugs or hfm just constant green snot and sleepless nightssad

Sweetpeasandcarrots Mon 21-Mar-16 20:42:52

My DD is 3.5 and goes 5 mornings a week. I'm hoping she'll grow stronger by the time she starts school. She's allergic to certain foods too and I'm wondering whether her diet is lacking in things that make her immune system weaker.

Sweetpeasandcarrots Mon 21-Mar-16 20:45:10

My DH and I aren't catching any of her colds or tummy bugs. She just seems to have a temperature about 4 days a week at the moment (though I don't give her calpol that often!)

blobbityblob Mon 21-Mar-16 20:56:28

Yes very common.

I left work the winter following mine starting nursery, she had that many fluey/sickness bugs. But they do build up immunity and grow out of it. Since she started school she's had maybe 3 days' sickness in the past 7 years.

It's a phase to be got through. They don't wash their hands adequately or stop sucking toys until age 4/5. That first six to eight months is the worst - they build up immunity.

Naty1 Tue 22-Mar-16 20:08:45

thats interesting op about the allergies and temperatures.
my dd has reocurring fevers which cause vomiting and it is ear infections.
she is i think allergic to soy and is given it in the nursery food.

how does your dd react to the food allergy. could it be new allergy? i think it gives mine reflux leading to the ear infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now