Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scarlet fever, hives and bruising

(5 Posts)
Runwayqueen Fri 18-Mar-16 21:01:42

Dd (5yrs) was diagnosed with Scarlet fever yesterday. She has a sandpaper texture rash, on her face, chest and arms, but it is only red on her face.

Today she has broken out in hives across her body and face. On most of the joints there is also bruising.

Every time she is viral or lethargic she gets hives with the bruising on the joints. She had Glandular fever last year so is frequently viral/lethargic. Her gp prescribed loratadine which is given nightly, it mostly reduces the hives but not completely and not at all when she very viral or as she is with the scarlet fever.

Gp had said about referring her to immunology but when we saw her yesterday there was no mention of it.

Has anybody seen this before or have any idea what it may be?

ArielBelleElsa Fri 18-Mar-16 21:08:43

Is she on any antibiotics or other medication?

Runwayqueen Fri 18-Mar-16 21:11:07

She is now on a 10 day course of antibiotics. This happens regardless though, as I said every time she is ill she gets these bruise like hives. I don't believe it's linked to the antibiotics.

ArielBelleElsa Fri 18-Mar-16 21:39:15

That sounds odd, I would take her to doctors for more advice. It's like a strange immune system response . Hope you get to the bottom of it💐

Runwayqueen Fri 18-Mar-16 22:40:48

The dr was going to refer her to immunology but yesterday it wasn't mentioned. Dr for now has given her loratadine although it doesn't completely work.

I think I'm mostly concerned about the bruising that comes with the hives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now