Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Recurrent sickness - any advice / experience

(5 Posts)
snowydrops Tue 15-Mar-16 16:23:55

DD1 (just 4) has been sick with 4 episodes of vomiting since Christmas (first one struck on Xmas eve!). Each time they follow the exact same process:

Day 1 - She is hyperactive, has tummy pains when walking
Day 2 - wakes up saying she has tummy ache / is tired, doesn't eat. Gets a temperature, starts vomiting
Day 3 - Vomits all day, exhausted, complains of terrible stomach pains
Day 4 - Vomits all day, exhausted
Day 5 - stops vomiting, exhausted, starts eating
Day 6 - exhausted, irritable, eating 1/2 normal amount
Day 7 - eating normally, grumpy
Day 8 - back to normal.

The last episode was less than 3 weeks ago (!) she had 6 days off school then went back for 10 days and is now off again (for at least a week). Last time we thought she had a appendicitis and were referred to hospital (lots of pain, right side). She didn't and the Dr there told us it was highly unlikely she would have another sickness episode this winter but she has.

I should add for the first 3 times none of us have been ill (including DD2 who is 1) this time around DD1 was sick last week so I am assuming that's where it's come from. She was sick, day or so of diarrhoea and then back to normal. DD1 is at pre school but this is not her first year in a childcare setting, she's been at the same place for 2 years and prior to that another nursery.

She just seems to suffer terribly and take a minimum of a week to get over anything. Sometimes she has had an infection prior, usually a cough or cold and then it seems to go into her stomach so she has a week or so of cold / cough in addition to a week being sick.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? We are going back to the Dr this week and I think they will run some blood tests but what would they be looking for?

We have cut down on dairy massively (mush to her dismay), she doesn't have any allergies we are aware of and until this year has only had one or two episodes of sickness in her life. Is there anything I should be looking into? I am really worried there might be something more sinister going on.

I have been giving her pro-biotics (powdered) since the last episode and she has a decent diet topped up with vitamins every other day or so (when we remember). I have also drilled hygiene into her and I think she's relatively good at hand washing. She rarely has lunch outside the house anyway.

Help! This is the 3rd week of work DH and I have missed since January. It would be the 4th if it weren't for the Xmas holiday. I don't know what to do to help her.

snowydrops Tue 15-Mar-16 16:34:06

I should add that although I think it's quite normal to get a few bugs when you're at pre school it's the length of them that concerns me most.

She hasn't eaten since Sunday at 5pm, since then it's been water or juice only (as advised by Dr). She throws up any liquid she has and this just seems to go on for days every time. Is that 'normal' or concerning? She is in a lot of pain with her tummy but won't take calpol (if she does she just brings it straight back up).

Badders123 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:58:11

Abdominal migraine?

snowydrops Tue 15-Mar-16 22:57:46

Thanks Badders, never heard of them but could be a possibility as just read up and symptoms sound similar. I used to suffer from migraines (the head ones) as a child but more around age 10. Worth mentioning to Dr though

We've had to bring her in to hospital this eve as she started vomiting blood :-( we are just awaiting blood test results now testing for celiac amongst other things.

Badders123 Wed 16-Mar-16 06:36:32

I'm sorry hear that poor little more sad
Also mention cyclical vomiting syndrome to dr too
Really hope she feels better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now