Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Exposure to chicken pox - do I need to isolate?

(6 Posts)
NotTHEBupcake Mon 14-Mar-16 21:48:26

DS has recently been around a couple of children who have gone on to develop chicken pox. Is it likely that DS is incubating it, and, therefore, should I keep him away from other children for a while? He wasn't in very close contact with them (ie not sharing food or utensils), but was playing in the same room. Not sure what the procedure is!

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Mon 14-Mar-16 21:51:33

No, it would be very impractical to do so considering the virus can incubate for over 2 weeks.

NotTHEBupcake Tue 15-Mar-16 07:22:39

Thanks!

dementedpixie Tue 15-Mar-16 19:49:23

Incubation period is up to 3 weeks so I would carry on as usual until they have symptoms

NeophyteStarfish Wed 23-Mar-16 14:39:18

...but if your DS is at school or nursery, it would be thoughtful to tell them that he has been exposed so that they can warn any parents of vulnerable children who might be immune-supressed and give them the opportunity to keep their DCs away if they are worried.

DessertOrDesert Wed 23-Mar-16 14:48:09

I'd stay away from kids you know might be immunosuppressed.
But otherwise carry on as normal.
We'd have had 3 or ,4 sessions of isolation if following your proposal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now