Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this normal after changing earrings

(24 Posts)
mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:01:26

DD got ears pierced 3 weeks ago today (20th Feb) got the 3 week treatment from Claire's and today changed my DD earring over to a new set
Took ages to get the back off 20 mins but one bleed a wee bit not much both ears have been ok but noticed a wee bit of blood again is this normal after changing earrings for the first time or should have I waited longer and will they be ok now I've changed them
(I'm still using the cleaning stuff just to be sure )

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 12-Mar-16 23:05:13

It's too early to change them. It's a minimum of six weeks. You won't have caused harm but that's why they bled. Leave these ones in for a good four weeks or so, and see how she's going then.

hownottofuckup Sat 12-Mar-16 23:07:01

Agree with anchor, keep cleaning and leave the same ones in for atleast 6 weeks from piercing.

VimFuego101 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:08:28

Yes, you should have left them longer. Just bathe them in salt water and don't try and change them again for another few weeks.

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:12:09

This is why I got the 3 week treatment was supossed to heal them quicker knew I should of stuck with the normal 6 week
DD says they don't hurt so must be a good sign I keep checking them

Was supposed to change them after 3 weeks with this stuff then keep the new earrings in for at least 6 months
I can't remember what I did with mine all changed these days

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sat 12-Mar-16 23:18:17

the 3 week treatment was supossed to heal them quicker

They saw you coming. There is no magic solution to speed up healing, that's down to the body's own immune responses.

Leave the earrings alone for at least 6 weeks now, use a saline solution twice a day to clean them (from the contact lens aisle in chemists and supermarkets), and don't let your DD touch them unnecessarily.

Thisismyfirsttime Sat 12-Mar-16 23:22:50

What are the new earrings made of? If Claire's own and not stirling silver/ gold/ stainless steel your dd may find her piercings irritated. Did they say 3 weeks then you can use any from our range?

LemonShizzleCake Sat 12-Mar-16 23:28:49

Agree with PP that healing cannot be sped up! When I got my ears pierced hundreds of years ago I left the piercing studs in for the requisite 6 weeks, turned them every day and bathed with the solution they gave me at the jewellers. Took them out to change them after 6 weeks and they were nowhere near healed.

At the advice of my mum, got some small gold "sleeper" hoops (the hinged type that are the same thickness all the way around, so you can spin them all the way through your ear) and switched to bathing in salt water and turning the sleepers to clear the gungy bits. Healed up in under 3 weeks.

I think maybe because with the studs, the gungy bits (for want of a better term) can't be cleared very well because it's all trapped behind the butterfly and "in" the earlobe, whereas the sleepers allow everything to clear much more easily. Worked for me!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 12-Mar-16 23:30:03

The three week thing is rubbish, sorry. There's nothing they can put in ointment that will speed up your body healing itself. If prevents infection and scarring and things but it won't heal faster than it was going to anyway.

It sounds like you're on the right track if you're going to leave them in for a while now. I'm glad they aren't hurting her!

LemonShizzleCake Sat 12-Mar-16 23:30:08

PS advise gold rather than silver, as silver can react with the skin during healing and leave a (sometimes permanent) black mark on/around the piercing.

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:31:14

New earrings are gold got from h Samuels as I only wear gold (can't wear silver) was told about the 3 week treatment was just the same as the normal stuff just meant quicker healing time (wish I'd stuck with the 6 weeks now) they just said after 3 weeks to change I had to have a pair of earrings ready to put in straight away and not to leave them out
Only took me ages to get them out due to the butterfly back really tough to get it past that notch
First one was ok didn't bleed 2nd did but just a tiny bit like a spot
So far they look ok not red no pain

Will make up my own solution tomorrow and give that ago

EmbroideryQueen Sat 12-Mar-16 23:32:52

You had them pierced with a gun not needle by someone hardly trained, had crap quality earrings put in and then buy some hocus pocus product supposed to speed up healing and are then surprised that there are problems? hmm

(I realise I sound harsh there, but I'm not trying to be a bitch.)

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:32:57

Ps when she got them Pierced I thought it was gold turns out it was silver

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:35:11

You didn't sound like a bitch lol I'm now 32 had mine done a little younger than DD who's 12 I remember getting mine done just can't mind what my mum used to clean them so new to all this

VagueIdeas Sat 12-Mar-16 23:38:51

Even six weeks is too soon; you need to leave them for months really. No rush to change the jewellery, just leave it be.

Saline solution is ideal - a quarter teaspoon sea salt to around 250ml boiled water.

pinkyredrose Sat 12-Mar-16 23:40:52

Don't turn the studs! Each time you do you irritate the piercing and break healing skin. Bath twice daily in weak sea salt water, nothing else.

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:43:55

Thanks guys really been helpfull been a stressful day now worried about this lol hopefully they are ok

Never had any problems till this afternoon

mitsi31 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:57:37

Remember getting mine done in a chemist at the time and was a gun all I remember lol different when I got belly button done though

Fingers crossed one I use the new solution all will be well defo keeping a eye on them and not touching them

How often should I use the new solution?

pinkyredrose Sun 13-Mar-16 10:38:52

Twice a day, be very gentle and don't touch the piercings at all otherwise.

mitsi31 Sun 13-Mar-16 14:01:23

Ive got saxa coarse sea salt and brought sainsburys fine sea salt are these ok hard to find the ones that say non iodized

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sun 13-Mar-16 14:10:25

Use the coarse sea salt and dissolve it completely smile

mitsi31 Sun 13-Mar-16 14:28:49

How much salt and thanks again DD ears look ok no problems since changing them but stopped using the stuff they gave me

pinkyredrose Sun 13-Mar-16 22:26:11

I use about an eighth or less of a teaspoons worth of salt in a mug of about an inch or two of water, boiled water that's been left to cool till it's warm/lukewarm. Any more salt/water than that is a waste. If you're not sure about the salt level just scoop a bit on the end of the spoon, less is more, if it's too salty it'll dry out the skin too much. I use cotton buds to gently clean round the piercing site, if there's lots of crusting you may want to soak a cotton pad in the water and lay if over the piercing for five minutes or so.

mitsi31 Thu 17-Mar-16 08:31:34

Thanks all
So far so good till this morning one must have got caught on something while she was sleeping managed to get it back in though felt as though the back was starting to close over seems fine now made sure I gave that ear a good clean
Stress haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now