Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Growing pains - are they real?!!

(26 Posts)
littlevic Sat 12-Mar-16 17:38:50

My DD 9, is really suffering at the mo with what I'm telling her are growing pains... She complains almost daily of stabbing pains usually in her legs - always in her joints....just wanted to check with you guys if your kids suffer with them too?! Some have said growing pains aren't real, so a bit confused!

ShowOfHands Sat 12-Mar-16 17:40:20

You do have to make sure it's not anything else but yes, they're real.

Is she drinking enough?

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 12-Mar-16 17:43:44

When is she getting the pains?

Growing pains have a characteristic pattern of happening at night and the child is fine in the morning. If your DD is complaining if joint pain during the day, or its affecting her walking etc you need to go and see the GP.

Is this something that just recently started happening? Again, if so, I'd make an appointment and see the GP.

Naoko Sat 12-Mar-16 17:46:13

Absolutely real, incredibly painful (I had them for a long time and would cry from them) but yeah, make sure it's not something else. My mum would massage my limbs with some of her fancy nice smelling body lotion when it was bad and that helped. Probably as much from the kindness and caring as from the massage, but neither can do any harm really!

littleducks Sat 12-Mar-16 17:48:28

Check vit D levels

Shallishanti Sat 12-Mar-16 17:52:49

growing pains- nhs

iamEarthymama Sat 12-Mar-16 17:55:45

This is the second thread I have seen on this topic.
My 5 yr old DGS has been in agony after having had scarlet fever.
Has your child been ill recently OP?
I am wondering if it is a post-viral thing.

MrsKCastle Sun 13-Mar-16 09:41:04

My DD1 is 7 and has been having growing pains for the last 2 or 3 years. They happen on and off, especially after a busy day such as a trip out involving lots of walking. For DD, they're usually behind her knees.

As the NHS website says, growing pains tend to happen at night or in the evening, so if your DD is having any problems in the day, do get her checked out. There's always the possibility of something more serious like juvenile arthritis.

ArielBelleElsa Sun 13-Mar-16 20:40:07

I remember having them terribly as a child. It was always overnight and in my legs. It really hurts, like an achy pain but v uncomfortable. I used to tie things around my legs to try to stop the pain-probably not the best thing to do but I remember being desperate to get the pain to go away. So, yes...definitely real.

littlevic Mon 14-Mar-16 16:48:21

I try to make sure she drinks enough but she probably doesn't sad

littlevic Mon 14-Mar-16 16:55:54

Thanks everyone, sounds like a few of you have experienced real pain with them - think I was lucky not to then! I'll keep a note of when they happen, can't really think at the mo if they're at the end of the day or not, I know they're not just in the night... she hasn't had anything in particular apart from a cold which the poor thing suffers from basically all Winter, just goes from one to another - she has a healthy appetite and a balanced diet...
Will keep an eye on her and take her to GP if they get more persistent!
Thanks everyone for your advice!! X

Crmomum Fri 15-Apr-16 11:35:16

sorry to be a dampener, there is no such thing as growing pains.
pain always has a reason (injury, infection, bad shoes, posture, strain) if there is no obvious reason and the pain doesn't go away than it's worth investigating.

ktmummy1 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:38:02

I beg to differ Cromum! I grew very rapidly from age 10 onwards and suffered terribly with severe leg aches (calf) mostly in evening and overnight. I am certain there is such a thing as growing pain. Never had pain in my calves since my growth spurts...

VertigoNun Fri 15-Apr-16 19:42:11

Myself and my children were fobbed off with growing pains. hmm it turned out we have a connective tissue disorder. Can she bend her thumb to her wrist?

GreenMarkerPen Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:15

sorry to hear that vertigo
but exactly that. 'growing pains' is an excuse for gp's not to investigate properly. <bitter>
if the pain persists without obvious reason, go and see a gp. you could also see s physio to see where the pain is coming from to give the gp a pointer.
pain is pain, I don't want to minimise, but pain has a reason, sometimes more obvious than others.

justabigdisco Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:29

As I said on another thread, growing pains are real and pain does NOT always have a demonstrable cause.

However the name should only be giving to pain occurring at night that cannot be explained by anything else. As a PP said, there are other causes for joint pains that should be ruled out before the diagnosis of growing pains is made.

VertigoNun Fri 15-Apr-16 20:15:06

I blame idiotic psychologists who have managed to gaslight the nation into believing that pain isn't real and is all in the head. hmm angry

VertigoNun Fri 15-Apr-16 20:16:44

My dd is going to go around with a hammer and offer a smash in the knees of the next HCP who suggests pain isn't real then tell them it's all in their head. in her fantasy

livvylongpants Fri 15-Apr-16 20:18:32

Oh yes growing pains are real, i shot up rapidly from 8-9 and used to get awful pains in my legs, i've got stretchmarks on my legs from growing

BurstMyBubbles Fri 15-Apr-16 20:20:15

Took my son to the docs recently as he said his knees ached often, she sent us to physio and it turns out he needs arch support for his feet, also given him some strengthening exercise to do.

DramaAlpaca Fri 15-Apr-16 20:21:43

Two of my DSs had growing pains in their legs and lower backs when they were going through growth spurts at 13 or 14. Both of them grew about 15cm in about a year. Their brother didn't get them, maybe because he grew at a more steady rate.

megletthesecond Fri 15-Apr-16 20:32:03

Fifteen! drama shock. I can't imagine what the bones and ligaments must go through growing at that rate.

AnyFucker Fri 15-Apr-16 20:33:34

is she hypermobile ?

DramaAlpaca Fri 15-Apr-16 20:35:08

I'm sure that's what caused their discomfort meglet.

They are now 6'2 and 6'3 and both have stretch marks on their lower backs from their growth spurts.

dodobookends Fri 15-Apr-16 20:41:39

According to a reliable source (the consultant orthopaedic surgeon at our local hospital) yes, growing pains definitely DO exist.

My dd had them around age 9 - apparently it is due to the bones growing quicker than the surrounding muscles and tendons, which have to stretch to accommodate the sudden bone growth before they catch up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now