Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sleep Apnoea - anxious mum needs advice!

(4 Posts)
scrambled Tue 08-Mar-16 10:20:39

Dd is 4 and is on the waiting list to have her tonsils and adenoids out. They are huge! She suffers from sleep apnoea and currently has a cold so last night was particularly bad, the worst I have ever seen her. For a couple of hours at least, she would take a breath , then stop breathing for 10-20 seconds (i was timing). Although with all the associated choking type sounds. She then seemed to settle and was ok for the rest of the night. Those couple of hours were terrifying. I don't know what to do now - should I take her to the doctor to see if we can get a home SATS monitor, or some oxygen, or her op pushed forwards (unlikely, it took 3 years to get referred) should I just wait and see how she goes tonight, or I am just over reacting? She was 10 weeks prem so I spent many weeks watching sats monitors in hospital, consequently I worry about her sats levels overnight and what would happen if they didn't pick up. She seems fine this morning which is what stopped me from making a doctors appointment. I think what I really need to know is when to worry or not!

HHH3 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:42:07

My DS2 had sleep apnoea because of huge adenoids. A sleep study showed he was stopping breathing 19 times an hour (I think) and his sats dropped as low as 73% at timesshock The noises were awful.

I'm not sure what you should do right now but just wanted to let you know that having his tonsils and adenoids out made a massive difference. Straight away he was sleeping peacefully (it was me that wasn't because he was so quiet I had to keep checking on him - was used to being able to hear him). And he started putting on weight and growing. And he was so much happier because he was getting good quality sleepsmile

scrambled Tue 08-Mar-16 21:02:20

Thanks HHH3. I took her to the doctors this afternoon and I've just had a phone call to say they will try to fast track her to get the operation sooner. Sounds like it was a great solution for your DS2, I actually can't wait for it to happen now!

HHH3 Tue 08-Mar-16 21:35:58

That's great news. Fingers crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now