Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Conjunctivitis at 11 months

(5 Posts)
Jojo13 Sun 06-Mar-16 18:18:26

Hi,
Any assistance appreciated, my 11 1/2 month old has had really gunky eyes over the last two days and they look red on the lids. Assume this is conjunctivitis, do I need to see my GP or is this something that, at this age, I just need to bathe eyes and keep clean?
He is also very snotty and has a cough, but had just put this down to a cold.

Thanks

Bohemond Sun 06-Mar-16 18:39:12

We phoned our gp and he diagnosed complications of cold (DS's eyes were actually oozing goo). He said to leave it for a few days and not to worry unless the eyeballs themselves started going red. Bathe with cool slightly saline water (I found nose nuzzle wipes worked well for regular wipe ups).

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 06-Mar-16 18:40:09

My DS was bad at this age, advisable to see a GP we went once but when it reoccurred prescribed over the phone. I don't know if your DS goes to nursery but mine wasn't allowed back in until it had cleared up. Hope he gets better soon

Jojo13 Sun 06-Mar-16 18:57:00

Thanks both for your response. I have been bathing and will see how he is in the morning.

imwithspud Sun 06-Mar-16 19:00:36

My 9 month old had the same. I left it for a week or so and cleaned the eyes regularly with cotton wool & water, but it showed no signs of clearing. We went to the gp and they prescribed eye drops 4x a day for a week, cleared it right up, wish I'd gone sooner tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now