Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Smelly bum

(10 Posts)
PegsPigs Sat 05-Mar-16 20:37:35

There isn't really a nice way of putting this. DD 3's bottom smells when she's not wearing any knickers. I've noticed she's got what looks like discharge in her knickers. Similar ish looking to mine but probably more yellow. First I thought it was her not wiping the wee but it looks thicker than that. Kind of crusty (so sorry this is definitely going down the TMI route but I can't discuss this with anyone in RL) It smells sort of fishy. She wears pull ups at night and they're full of wee in the morning. We wash her bottom with a flannel to get rid of the residual wee. She has a bath twice a week but a bottom half wash every other day in the shower.

Does it sound like she has an infection? She never seems to want the toilet. Maybe 3 x a day. She jigs like she needs to go but when I ask her she vehemently denies it. About 15 minutes or so later she says she does need to go then goes. Toilet trained for 6 months. Please can you give me any advice.

SecretSpy Sat 05-Mar-16 20:38:52

Take her to the GP, it sounds odd.

PegsPigs Sat 05-Mar-16 20:43:50

Thanks. I thought it wasn't quite right. I'm sure I was a teenager before I had any discharge. It's not right is it?

SecretSpy Sat 05-Mar-16 20:45:15

Not right. Could be a bit of an infection, could be a foreign body somewhere. Either way it's a GP job

passthewineplz Sat 05-Mar-16 21:11:01

Girls can get some vaginal discharge, it could be thrush or a bacterial infection. So I'd get her checked out by her gp.

If you're washing her down below with a flannel/cloth make sure you wash/wipe her front to back like you would when using toilet paper, as washing back to front can cause an infection/uti ect. Also try and avoid washing her vagina with soap/shower gel as it can irritate it and trigger thrush and make it sore.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaginal-discharge/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Also holding wee can cause a uti so try and get her to drink plenty. Perhaps try a reward chart/stickers to encourage her to have a wee.

When my DD goes for a wee, I tell her to dab herself with toilet roll rather than wipe it.

PegsPigs Sat 05-Mar-16 21:24:32

That's confirmed it's worth a trip to the GP.

She does wipe properly with me but goes to childcare 2 days a week so it could be an issue there. I always do the poo wiping but she has come back from childcare with skid marks. And yes DH and I are hot on the wiping front to back thing but it does depend on others supervising her when she's not with us. Thanks for your responses.

passthewineplz Sat 05-Mar-16 21:52:20

Def get her checked out. Also ask her if it hurts/stings when she goes for a wee, and if she's itchy/sore below and take a urine sample to the dr's with you.

GooodEveningMadam Sat 05-Mar-16 21:56:42

Some children do have vaginal discharge (I did), and all was normal.

If the discharge is thick and crusty, it could be thrush. I would take her to the GP just to rule anything out.

PegsPigs Sun 06-Mar-16 04:12:13

She said her bottom was itchy today after swimming but I could see there was a small amount of poo around it so thought that might be it. She says it doesn't hurt when she wees. She does itch her vagina though when she's got no knickers on so maybe thrush is a good call

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 06-Mar-16 17:42:03

I would also check for threadworms they can irritate the vulva and vagina in girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now