Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

toddler with infected head wound

(17 Posts)
fedupofpeppa Sat 05-Mar-16 06:40:47

My ds fell and bumped his head at nursery on Wednesday. He had a cut on his forehead and a lump and bruise. No stitches. Nursery cleaned it and put cold compress on for an hour and monitored him. We monitored for Concussion overnight. He was a bit out of sorts the next day and his lump swelled a bit. He was sick once but after coughing and drinking a big water too quickly. The next morning his swelling had got bigger again and covered most his forehead and bridge of nose so I took him to minor injuries who diagnosed a wound infection and gave antibiotics. He has had one days worth of these. Late in the evening his wound started weeping so definitely infected.

He slept in with me last night as was unhappy and woke up at 4 and was sick all over the bed and has been really irritable since. His whole face is puffy today and the skin between his nose and eyes is red (not rash just looks inflamed).

He looks a mess and is clearly unhappy. Just wanted to check if anyone knows anything else I can do to help him? He has infection but is being sick normal? Guess in my sleep deprived state I am worried there is no improvement and wondering if his medicine is not agreeing with him.

Any reassurance people can give would be great or maybe guidance on when to take him back to the doctors.

Thank you

outputgap Sat 05-Mar-16 06:51:40

I am no expert, but I would be trying to see a Dr today, as it sounds odd.

However, antibiotics are likely to kick in later today or tomorrow, and the second throwing up could be from the antibiotics themselves.

But I wouldn't risk waiting. I'd be down to the out of hours doctor today.

Penfold007 Sat 05-Mar-16 06:54:41

As an adult I had an infection across my forehead and nose. The GP took it very seriously and sent me to A&E. I'd get him checked sooner rather than later.

fedupofpeppa Sat 05-Mar-16 06:59:57

The reason I am in two minds is we went yesterday to the minor injuries / walk in clinic and I haven't exactly given the antibiotics time to work. Just he is getting worse and his symptoms are strange ie no temperature but vomiting etc

Mrscog Sat 05-Mar-16 07:02:11

I'm normally a 'wait and see' person but I'd be heading back today.

mcdog Sat 05-Mar-16 07:03:48

Definitely go back. You can't mess about with head wounds.

Whycantweallgetalong Sat 05-Mar-16 07:05:53

Your DS fell and bumped his head on Wednesday and by Thursday it was infected? That sounds very, very odd. I thought the would have happened at least a week ago. I will see a GP as an urgent appointment or A and E.

I'm also assuming his had all his Jabs e.g tetanus, just in case.

acupofteafortwoormore Sat 05-Mar-16 07:15:22

Sounds like A&E to me - Just go now, nice & early or ring 111 for advice.

fedupofpeppa Sat 05-Mar-16 07:16:36

Yep he has had all his jabs. I don't know how long infections take to kick in but the wound was sealed when we got to nursery about an hour after it happened and stayed sealed until it began weeping yesterday do the infection must have hit in at the point t of the accident or when being cleaned up by nursery. It's a big bump so Thursdays swelling could easily have just been bruising. Friday when we took him to Minor Injuries unit was because it had spread which is weird so I guess maybe that's when the infection kicked in and do I thought we had caught it quickly.

Okay sounds like I need another visit to gp today. Thanks for the advice.

FancyPuffin Sat 05-Mar-16 09:39:08

You're definitely doing the right thing getting him seen today.

Hope it all goes well. flowers

mcdog Sat 05-Mar-16 20:49:34

How did it go?

amysmummy12345 Sat 05-Mar-16 20:55:37

Any news?

fedupofpeppa Sat 05-Mar-16 21:19:45

They think he is okay in terms of not a concussion or serious head injury but definitely an infection. Said he will be feeling ill but hopefully antibiotics will kick in tomorrow. The swelling has gone down a bit on his forehead but he appears to be getting black eyes so looks a mess. Has been playing happily the last few hours though since a long nap.

I am feeling happier for getting him checked again so thank you all.

amysmummy12345 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:59:23

Thank goodness he's ok, always best to get a second opinion... That said I'm a hypochondriac at the best of times lol grin

Whycantweallgetalong Tue 08-Mar-16 17:42:36

That's very good news OP smile

amarmai Tue 08-Mar-16 20:18:24

must have been a really hard fall.Do you think nursery downplayed it? Has it been logged at nursery?

fedupofpeppa Tue 08-Mar-16 20:27:21

Nursery told us immediately and told me it was a proper bump. He tripped and head butted a chair. They also gave me an overview of concussion symptoms to watch for. I told them he has been to minor injuries and they logged it and gave been giving him his antibiotics. Accidents happen and I think they have done everything they can really. My only concern is whether they cleaned the cut properly but I very much doubt my toddler made it easy for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now