Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nose bleeds

(4 Posts)
AugustRose Fri 04-Mar-16 18:43:48

A year ago DS (4 at the time) had a suspected broken nose but it settled fine and doesn't appear to be out of place. However, since then he has suffered with nosebleeds a couple of times a month, not too serious but they can sometimes take 15 mins to stop.

They tend to happen when he gets hot and has been running about or like today when he has a temperature, but sometimes they just start when he's sitting still.

Is it worth getting and ENT appointment, or will they just tell me he will grow out of them?

AugustRose Sat 05-Mar-16 13:10:44

Does anyone have any experience please?

thejoysofboys Sat 05-Mar-16 13:18:57

My DS gets nosebleeds a lot. Especially when he gets hot (blood vessels expanding rapidly) or in the summer when his nose is irritated by pollen. Sometimes they do take up to 20 mins to stop and once he's had one nosebleed he'll invariably get a few more in the following days as his blood vessels are weakened.
We just live with it, he's pretty patient with them now (he's 6 but this has been going on since he was 3). Sucking an ice cube or lolly helps to stop them quicker. I have heard you can get their nose cauterised but this can cause other problems such as headaches so we've just left it.
HTH.

AugustRose Sun 06-Mar-16 15:05:03

Thanks for that, I think I will leave it a bit longer. My only concern is that they weren't sure if the nose had gone back into place properly and it does move if he whacks it - which is has done at least twice since then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now