Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

should I take DD back to the GP?

(7 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Wed 02-Mar-16 09:56:33

DD has been to the GP recently with a snotty nose/chesty cough type thing and was told it's a virus.

She was better for a few days before coming back down with the same thing 2 night last now she's cried all night, coughing up a lot of phlegm, hit temp 39-40 degrees, generally miserable, she's been vommiting on/off for 2 days/nights now and this morning she has diarrhoea.

Paracetamol suppositories are brining the fever down but it's shooting up again after a couple of hours. I've not tried liquid ibuprofen yet, she has such a violent reaction to liquid paracetamol (something they put in it but not the actual paracetamol) I'm a bit scared to try it without another adult here to help.

DS was diagnosed with tonsillitis on Monday and i have a painful chesty cough and fever and am generally feeling crap.

I know from my many trips to the GP recently that there's a lot of this going around, the waiting room is always full of poorly tots.
I'm getting worried the GP is going to get a bit fed up with me keep taking her for the same thing!

Should I take her this afternoon or wait it out a few more days?

notagiraffe Wed 02-Mar-16 10:27:05

Take her back, because the phlegm and temperature could be signs of a secondary infection (maybe on her chest?) in which case she'd need antibiotics to clear it up. I'd always rather the GP thought of me as a pita parent than risk DC having something serious that I was playing down so as not to be a bother.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 02-Mar-16 11:06:34

Well I have another appointment this afternoon. I expect to be told it's a long running virus still but best to be safe than sorry.

KittyandTeal Wed 02-Mar-16 11:09:45

There is a horrid virus going around. My 3yo dd is still coughing a bit 4 weeks after getting it.

Still, your dd sounds really poorly. Poor thing. I hope the doc can help.

Btw we took dd when she had it and they gave us antibiotics in case she developed an ear infection or chest infection over the wknd. She didn't and we chucked it in the end but it does sound like although they won't shift the virus that secondary infections are not uncommon.

Wardrobespierre Wed 02-Mar-16 11:17:04

DS has the same. Cough, cold, snot, earache, fever and vomiting. He's fast asleep at the moment and I desperately want to sleep too but am worried he'll be sick and I have to catch it. I can't do more laundry. Everything I love has been boiled washed already.

It's doing the rounds sadly.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 02-Mar-16 11:23:14

I know there's loads of horrible things about, I've been with my GP surgery for 9 years and I've never send it as busy as it was Monday, people were standing on the corridors because the waiting room was so full!

Normally the kids have to be really, really unwell before I bother a dr but DD is just not picking up, she seems to be getting more symptoms by the day and she's so tiny for her age, I worry about her ability to fight things off.

Error404usernamenotfound Wed 02-Mar-16 11:28:57

I feel for you, OP; DD has just had a virus with a secondary infection that needed antibiotics. If her symptoms are getting worse/more numerous, and her temperature has been high for several days then you are doing the right thing in taking her back to the GP.

Hope she's better soon!


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now