Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blue lips, no other symptoms

(12 Posts)
noitsachicken Tue 01-Mar-16 17:58:23

Earlier this afternoon DS 14 months had blue tinged lips, he was amd has been otherwise totally well, his lips returned to a normal colour and I was not concerned, but the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe it could be something.
I spoke to a doctor from NHS 111 who reassured me, and said it could be a sign that his bronchialitis, which he has suffered from before is returning, and advised I saw a GP tomorrow.
Just to clarify before I get told to call 999 he is otherwise well, no breathing problems, bright, active, eating etc.
Lips are a normal colour now.

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Thanks

eaudeparfumpooie Tue 01-Mar-16 19:41:58

Keep a very careful eye on him check his breathing/temperature often, and don't hang about if you are worried.

Lovelilies Wed 02-Mar-16 21:27:27

My dd suffered with blue lips a lot as a young child.. Even now (10) if she's cold her lips sometimes turn dark purple/ blue.
She was referred to paediatrician as a toddler, he had a quick listen to her heart with a stethoscope and decreed she was fine (no other symptoms).
I'm a nurse and was a bit hmm at the lack of investigation, but she seems okay generally.
I'd get him checked by GP anyway.

lucjam2105 Fri 04-Mar-16 16:29:55

My dd had this too. First noticed it at age 2, eventually at age 10 we were sent to a hospital in London for a cardio echogram. They looked at the structure of her heart etc. Turns out she has a murmur which she should really have grown out of. Apart from that all ok and we're told it was just one of those things. They asked me if she ever had collapsed and were satisfied with a no answer.

Keep an eye but dont worry too much. It's cold atm so that might be why.

lucjam2105 Fri 04-Mar-16 16:30:09

My dd had this too. First noticed it at age 2, eventually at age 10 we were sent to a hospital in London for a cardio echogram. They looked at the structure of her heart etc. Turns out she has a murmur which she should really have grown out of. Apart from that all ok and we're told it was just one of those things. They asked me if she ever had collapsed and were satisfied with a no answer.

lucjam2105 Fri 04-Mar-16 16:30:14

TitsDown Fri 04-Mar-16 16:34:09

No answers. But my 2yo often gets blue-ish lips. Worse when tired or cold.

Mentioned to the doc when he had a virus recently. She didn't think it needed investigating. I'm keeping an eye on how often it happens.

uvavu Fri 04-Mar-16 16:35:32

My 8 year old gets blue lips in the swimming pool. It's because she's cold!

noitsachicken Fri 04-Mar-16 17:34:06

Thanks all.
He really wasn't cold, I spoke to the GP who was happy as long as he was otherwise well, but if it happens again I will take him in.
He is full of cold now, snotty and a tooth coming, so perhaps all related.

lucjam2105 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:50:32

Apologies for the multiple posts not sure what happened there blush

silver1986 Tue 08-Mar-16 05:26:17

Is this still happening to your son? My daughter has also had a cold and ear virus and teething badly and have noticed her lips go abit purple at times whilst she hasn't been well.

minipie Thu 10-Mar-16 14:14:19

Hi, no answers for you but my 1yo gets purpley lips quite often, especially if she is full of cold or laid on her back. I don't know whether to worry or not...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now