Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old... sleep apnea?

(7 Posts)
mummyleah Sun 28-Feb-16 23:32:53

Hello I'm worried about my 3 year old little boy I've always put a question mark on him for having sleep apnea. Yesterday night I could smell vomit so i went into his room to find him laid init and a similar thing happened tonight but he was laid on his back with sick all over his face and hair so he has basically been sick whilst sleeping. I'm scared that he'll choke on his vomit. I say and watched him sleep and when he's asleep on his back he snores extremely loud and stops breathing then chokes.

minipie Sun 28-Feb-16 23:50:40

It does sound scary, poor you and poor him, though I think it's very very unusual for people to choke on their vomit unless they are really drunk or passed out.

Do you know why he was being sick? is he sick often, does he have reflux for example?

Does he have other symptoms of apnea eg does he seem tired in the day, always fall asleep in the car, etc?

I would suggest videoing him in the night to show the snoring and choking and take it to the GP. Also of course mention any other apnea symptoms. They should be able to refer him to a sleep clinic.

VimFuego101 Sun 28-Feb-16 23:54:54

I agree, video the snoring and ask the GP for a sleep clinic referral.

Themodernuriahheep Mon 29-Feb-16 00:16:36

Take him to Gp, pref asap. Godson had to have tonsils and adenoids out v v young. Serious sleep apnoea. And loads of colds. Post tonsillectomy fine. Before then needed a sleep mask.

May09Bump Mon 29-Feb-16 00:38:46

Get him a referral to an ENT consultant - ask them to check tonsils, adenoids and for rhinitus (this last one caused six yrs of broken sleep for us and wasn't spotted by two consultants). Also, may be allergy related.

You might want to try and get him to sleep on a wedge, as it could be reflux too.

It must be scary - hope you get some answers soon.

mawbroon Mon 29-Feb-16 00:41:52

Also check out his orofacial structure.

High palate, small nostrils, mouth breathing, snoring and apnoea were some of the problems ds1 had. The underlying cause was his undiagnosed posterior tongue tie

mummyleah Wed 19-Jul-17 01:12:30

Thankyou for all of your replies... since this post he has had his Tonsils and adenoids removed and is currently panes free smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now