Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

pyloric stenosis

(14 Posts)
ash979 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:02:31

My daughter is seven weeks today. She has been projectile vomiting most feeds for six days now. Ended up in a and e with suspected pyloric stenosis. Surgeon decided he didn't think it was and we were sent home with no answers. She was on a drop for dehydration and tube into stomach to see what he could draw out. Wouldn't do a scan. Back home and still being sick. Don't know what to do

MedSchoolRat Tue 23-Feb-16 22:08:35

I thought PS usually manifested within 1st week. Sorry she's suffered so much. Is she keeping feeds down now?

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 24-Feb-16 10:01:45

Reflux? My ds projectile vomited everything and it turned out to be a cows milk protein allergy. He was on gaviscon and then ranitidine.

ash979 Wed 24-Feb-16 17:09:36

Been given gaviscon to try today

dratsea Wed 24-Feb-16 21:28:40

PS is not at all common in girls, with the exception of the daughters of girls who have had treatment themselves.

BlackSwan Wed 24-Feb-16 21:50:34

Can you afford to go privately and get the scan done? This must be such an anxious time for you - I feel for you.

MadisonAvenue Wed 24-Feb-16 22:02:30

Hopefully the Gaviscon will help, but if not push for a scan.
I had surgery for this when I was 3 weeks old, back in the late 60s. Got the ugliest keloid scar but at least it was treated.
Thankfully neither of my sons had it.

Hastagwhatever Wed 24-Feb-16 22:11:49

Dd had ps at 4 weeks old. Is she having wet nappies?. Dd went down hill very quickly after our gp didn't listen to our concerns and actually had blood in her nappy. I'd take her back to a&e if she isn't wetting much.

SeratoninIsMyFriend Wed 24-Feb-16 22:13:36

I had this at about 8 weeks I think (am female!) - hope it gets sorted, must be so upsetting.

waterfalling Sun 13-Mar-16 10:20:45

I also had this at around 6 weeks - had emergency surgery after my mum took me in pram to hospital in the snow - gp's wife wouldnt take my DM seriously and refused to send the doctor out to me - and this was around 50 odd years ago.

I am female.

I have a nasty scar but it is my trophy and constant reminder that my DM's instinct and actions saved my life!

Listen to your instincts and insist this is investigated further.

Good luck OP.

rosyvalentine Sun 13-Mar-16 10:38:08

I had it too at about 3/4 weeks of age. So did my older female cousin and the son of a friend. Neither of my DC were affected. Hope you get it sorted out soon. Best of luck.

Bovnydazzlers Mon 14-Mar-16 02:15:17

6-8 weeks is when this would hit.

Can you go to a different hospital? She needs a barium scan to be sure to see the path of the liquid flow through the stomach.

It sounds v stressful for you flowers

skinoncustard Sat 19-Mar-16 07:50:07

Me too , 62 years ago , mother, having been told by doctor that she was a nervous first time mother and that all babies are sick, pushed me to the doctors house one night , refused to leave . Doctor fed me , sat me up , prodded my stomach , I projectile vomited ! ( my mother said she smiled inside as it ran down his posh wall ) Operation, and not a days problem since. I was 6 weeks old . ( also female )
Be firm , you are your child's voice.
Hope she gets well soon flowers

PeppermintNightmare Sat 19-Mar-16 08:01:45

My ds didn't present symptoms until 10 weeks old. Did they at least observe your dd having a feed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now