Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old DD with temperature

(25 Posts)
NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:24:24

DD started the morning with a temperature of 38.1, she's had 2 lots of calpol since then (4 hours apart) at her second set of calpol her temperature was 38.3 and it's now at 40.0
I've stripped her off and she's got cool flannels on her head and neck, what else can I do?
Our doctors is shut 1pm-2pm and I have a poorly 6 year old at home and a 3 month old too, feel a bit stuck
DP has said take her to A&E but I feel that's a bit alarmist

Pancakeflipper Tue 23-Feb-16 13:28:15

Oh poor you - is your 6yr old suffering with the same thing? Could be a nasty viral thing - plenty about.

Have you used Ibrufen type med with/between the calpol? That can help with temps in reducing them.
Is she drinking? Is she able to eat a little?

Obviously if droopy, rashes, eye issues then off to hospital you go.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Feb-16 13:34:31

I'd alternate with some ibuprofen amd see if that helps.

keep checking the temp every 20 mins.or so and if it starts creeping I'd go to a&e as 40 o's pretty high

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Feb-16 13:35:01

Unless she's floppy and unresponsive, then I'd go now

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:38:17

Yes, the 6 year old has had a little bit of a temperature since Sunday and has been sleeping loads (very unlike him) but he has cold symptoms too, although he's much perkier today and the calpol has brought his temperature right down to 37.2

DDs just hit her this morning, she has no cold symptoms she's just hot and quite lethargic and been a bit weepy, says she's cold though and she actually has goosebumps atm

I've been giving her sips of water and she's been drinking that fine and she nibbled at a piece of toast at about 11am bit that's it

I have only got calpol in, no ibrufen or anything like that

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:41:25

X post with Giles she's awake and responsive, just looking very tired

Pancakeflipper Tue 23-Feb-16 13:41:52

Send DP out to get some or ask a kindly mum to get you some. It really can make a difference and something the hospital is very likely to do.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Feb-16 13:42:50

is there anyone you can send out for sone nurofen? or a neighbour u can ask?

that's probably your best shot of getting temp down

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:43:21

DP is at work till 6:30, I might see if my Mum can call for some for me

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Feb-16 13:45:48

how far away is the nearest shop?

if your mum can't, would a neighbour watch the older ones while u take baby to the shop

Pancakeflipper Tue 23-Feb-16 13:45:54

If your 6 yr old is at school could one of the mums you know drop some off on their way from school collection.
Unless you live in Grumpy-ville most people will always help a fellow parent if it involves poorly ones (except for holding the vomit bucket - I won't do that)

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:47:57

We have a corner shop about 3 minutes away, but not sure if they'll sell it (and it's also shut till 2 hmm)
Just waiting for a call back from my Mum

DD has just fallen asleep bless her

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:48:57

Ooo Pancake that's a good idea, a few people from his class live on our street I'll try that instead

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 13:52:06

Her temperature has come down to 39.7 now <exhales>

Chchchchangeabout Tue 23-Feb-16 13:52:18

Does she have a stiff neck or dislike of bright lights? I would keep an eye on any of the symptoms of meningitis with a high temp that won't go down.

NoCapes Tue 23-Feb-16 14:18:59

She isn't stiff no, she said her eyes are aching but only when I asked, she said her head and her belly is aching too so I think it's more a case of her aching all over

I've got through to the doctors who want me to take her in right away anyway, just waiting for a babysitter for the other 2 to arrive

Thanks all x

Pancakeflipper Wed 24-Feb-16 13:05:55

Hello - is she getting better? Hope the temp is down and it was nothing more serious.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 24-Feb-16 13:11:19

How did she get on? Hope the temp had come down.

NoCapes Wed 24-Feb-16 13:49:24

Yes she's much better today, doctor gave her a thorough check over and was a bit baffled as she could see no obvious signs of illness besides the temperature

So she gave us some paracetamol and ibuprofen and sent us on our way just telling me to keep a close eye on her

Her temperature spiked at about 3am and she was hallucinating which was a bit scary, but it's been on the decline ever since and she's ate today and is back to her chatty self smile

Thank you for the concern and the advice yesterday you're a lovely lot flowers

Pancakeflipper Wed 24-Feb-16 14:06:40

Oh that's good news (well apart from the scary hallucinations...), glad the temp is on the decline and she's getting like her old self.

Funny how you miss that constant chatter isn't it when they are poorly?

NoCapes Wed 24-Feb-16 14:49:21

I know isn't it, they house felt really odd yesterday without her chatting and dancing all over the place, funny how much difference it can make

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 24-Feb-16 19:14:39

ah bless her! glad temp is coming down now

sugar21 Wed 24-Feb-16 19:23:37

OP I wanted to post earlier but I didnt want to scare you. So pleased that your dd is fine. If you have come across my threads at all you will know that I lost my dd to meningitis.
Thing is she did not have a rash until the last stages of the illness but temp flopiness and unresponsiveness were key, as is the high temp and cold clammy hands and feet and dry nappy if a baby or toddler is ill.
Just trying to give info, hope you don't mind

NoCapes Wed 24-Feb-16 20:44:45

Don't mind atall sugar
DD actually had meningitis when she was 3 months old and she had no rash, I actually only took her to A&E because I thought she needed an X-Ray as she was stiff so I presumed she'd hurt her back somehow, I had no idea that was a symptom, I had only ever heard of the rash.
I agree that people should be made much more aware of other symptoms, and all the hospital staff I came across while she was poorly said the same thing as the non-blanching rash usually comes out when it's too late to do anything.

So so sorry for your loss flowers

sugar21 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:02:30

Thanks NoCapes Yes I think the rash info on the nhs page should be changed as everyone looks for it.
Happy that your dd got better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now