Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What should we expect at first Spinal Deformity Clinic appointment?

(11 Posts)
LilRedWG Mon 22-Feb-16 18:27:06

DD (9) has a, "dip in spine, recedes at t10 to l1, c/o back pain. Younger brother has same, but no pain".

An xray taken of her lying flat on her back has ruled out scoliosis and we have our first clinic appointment on Thursday - am unsure what to expect or to prepare her for.

Any experience/advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.

MissTriggs Mon 22-Feb-16 20:36:17

Sorry don't know but could you tell us how you got to this point as my son has issues also

LilRedWG Tue 23-Feb-16 18:31:17

Hi MissTriggs - I initially took DD to the GP after a year of watching and waiting. There was a thread - I'll find a link for you......

LilRedWG Tue 23-Feb-16 18:33:14

Here you are: Earlier thread.

Let me know if you have any questions.

MissTriggs Wed 24-Feb-16 21:54:32

Thanks offto look

MissTriggs Wed 24-Feb-16 22:05:43

Bumping for us both
I need to take ds to the gp
He had bad knee pain at 10 which orthotics have sorted but the podiatrist said he was very twisted andhe says his backpack hurts more on one shoulder....
He has some scoluosis. awful posture and how do you fix that with modern lifestyle?
at least he can play football and do ordinary sport. He is vwry nimble but I can see he overuses his arms/ neck and has a weak core
My own similar problem came home to roost last year.....

MissTriggs Wed 24-Feb-16 22:07:17

Please can you post after yourappt tomorrow and I will tooxx

MissTriggs Thu 25-Feb-16 20:23:41

how did it go?
I made an apt with osteopath for ds1

DingbatsFur Fri 26-Feb-16 22:48:07

If your son has scoliosis an osteopath will not fix it. Please take him to a gp!

MissTriggs Wed 02-Mar-16 22:02:13

thanks Dingbats,

Osteopath said it is a functional scoliosis not a structural scoliosis ie the spine only curves because his pelvis is twisted.and that his podiatry insoles need tweaking and his back loosening and then the back will straighten.
The back is already straighter than it used to be pre-insoles.
I think they also call it a postural scoliosis?
Anyway, it doesn't sound as though he needs bracing or an op.

LilRedWG Sat 12-Mar-16 18:17:50

Sorry for the delay in posting. The Consultant was great and reassured us that there is nothing majorly wrong and that basically DH and I make weird-spined children. :D

He has ordered an MRI to be 100% sure that there's nothing there but said that he'd be very surprised if anything comes back from it. If all clear DD will be discharged, which I am happy with atm.

With regards to exercise he said that it is the best thing but that she has to work out her own limits.

MissTriggs - tbh I would take your DS to the GP for a once over too, just to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now