Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does this look like ringworm?

(11 Posts)
PJ67 Sat 20-Feb-16 17:29:24

It's on my 9 yr olds shoulder, just above his collar bone. He has a smaller rind patch on his neck as well. There's no paler area in the middle so wasn't sure. Putting anti fungal cream on for past 4 days but no change.

PJ67 Sat 20-Feb-16 17:30:07

Sorry, round not rind!

moanwhingemoan Sun 21-Feb-16 21:58:50

Possibly but ime ringworm had a whiter middle. Does he suffer from dry skin? Looks a bit like discoid excema

minipie Sun 21-Feb-16 22:13:28

As moan says IME ringworm has a much redder line round the outer edge of the patch and a whiter middle. Looks more like the dry patches some of my family get in the winter when the central heating is on (no idea if they are eczema or just "dry skin")

PJ67 Tue 23-Feb-16 21:19:05

Thanks. Asked the pharmacist who suggested trying a different anti fungal cream for 3 or 4 days, then ask GP if no change. Will see how it is by Thursday.

Inkymess Tue 23-Feb-16 21:21:57

Mine get patches like this in winter - double base cream clears it up.

BeaufortBelle Tue 23-Feb-16 21:29:01

No. I've had ringworm. Two circles with a pale middle. Took several weeks merging into months of anti fungal cream before it went.

I think it's eczema. Try some 0.5% hydrocortisone and if it doesn't clear up in a week see the Dr.

PJ67 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:53:36

Thanks. Have got a mild steroid but is it unusual to just get one patch of eczema?

Inkymess Fri 26-Feb-16 19:42:47

Not at all. Both mine get spots of in odd places often

PJ67 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:44:50

Went to GP on Thurs and he thought eczema and gave a steroid cream. Over the past few days however he's had a few more smaller patches appear on his stomach. I've had pityriasis rosea in the past and I'm wondering if it's this and the first one was the herald patch? There was a little patch beside the bigger patch however, so not sure if you can get two at the start?

Wardrobespierre Tue 01-Mar-16 17:51:21

DH gets pityriasis versicolor which is similar. Always starts around his neck and shoulders and then stomach and chest. Raised, red, scaly patches. He uses a shampoo with a certain ingredient which helps (uses it as a body wash).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now