Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Really hot head - teething?

(16 Posts)
charliedontsurf Fri 19-Feb-16 15:14:01

My DD is 10 months old and doesn't have any teeth yet. I'm pretty sure she's been teething for the last few weeks, she's been grizzly, had red cheeks, drooling etc. She chews everything she can get hold of.

Today she's been really upset. I figured it's her teeth again and have given her some calpol. However, her head is absolutely boiling! You could fry an egg on it. The rest of her body feels normal, her hands and feet are slightly cold as usual. The calpol doesn't seem to be cooling her head down. She's also lost her appetite a bit.

Is a hot head a symptom of teething? I just wondered if anybody else had this happen. Maybe she's picked up a virus, I can't take her temperature though because I (stupidly) don't have a thermometer and I can't drive so can't go out to get one.

Squashybanana Fri 19-Feb-16 19:20:55

Teething doesn't usually cause a high temp. I bet she's just poorly. Infant ibuprofen is often better at bringing a temp down than calpol if you have any?

LittleBearPad Fri 19-Feb-16 19:22:09

DS seems to get a temp with his teeth too. Calpol or ibuprofen seems to settle him, pain and temp wise.

Squashybanana Fri 19-Feb-16 19:31:03

sorry that should say 'a significantly high temp'.

charliedontsurf Fri 19-Feb-16 19:50:15

Thank you, I'd completely forgotten about nurofen. I'll give her some of that! She's asleep at the moment but I've just touched her head and she's scorching again sad

It could just be a virus, we went to soft play on Thursday and she licked pretty much everything in there! I will go and buy a thermometer tomorrow.

I think I'm just getting extra freaked out because of all the meningitis stories at the moment. DD was born the day before the cut off date for the vaccine!

Joneseygirl77 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:16:24

My DD tends to get a spike in temp when teething. More high 37/38. I find nurofen to be much better for teething than calpol especially at night as it seems to last longer. I also swear by anbesol too.

Hopefully you'll know tomorrow as if she's still hot then it's probably a virus on top of teeth. They can pick up more bugs when teething as everything is going in their mouths plus the lack of sleep/ food can make them a bit run down.

Hope she's better tomorrow.

Heatherbell1978 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:19:18

My DS1 has been teething for what feels like forever...started at 6m and now he's 18m and getting his molars. He actually gets quite ill when he's teething badly, along with the usual symptoms he gets a temp and snotty. I actually gave him nurofen today as he was just crying constantly and it did the trick.

RubyChewsDay Fri 19-Feb-16 21:23:19

Can you just keep her in a vest for now, maybe a cool flannel on her head?

Have you put a clean finger along her gums to feel gently for any sharp bits poking through? My DD used to get very hot with bright red cheeks like sunburn.

Nelsons teething granules were good and bonjela.

HopeandSoap Fri 19-Feb-16 21:33:23

She shouldn't be scorching with teething. If neurofen or paracetamol doesn't bring it down I'd take her to see out of hours GP. How is she in herself? Can someone go and get a thermometer now from 24hr supermarket?

charliedontsurf Fri 19-Feb-16 22:12:12

She's been sick now so I don't think it's her teeth sad usually DH is here and I'd ask him to get me a thermometer but he's out tonight and I rang him to ask him to come home and he said no - what a wanker.

She's asleep again now but still boiling. She s just in a vest with a thin blanket on. I had to force her to take the nurofen but it doesn't seem to have bought temp down. She's never been ill like this before so I feel a bit out of my depth! Maybe I should phone out of hours?

Squashybanana Fri 19-Feb-16 23:29:59

If neurofen doesn't bring her temp down definitely call ooh doc. Hope she's better in the morning. Have you checked her throat ? Tummy aches are common in throat infections.

RubyChewsDay Sat 20-Feb-16 03:11:43

Hope all is ok, do you have a walk in health centre near you?
Ours is open at 08.00 on a weekend.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 20-Feb-16 08:59:56

If you press the spoon down on her tongue it forces her to swallow -

Sounds like she needs a doctor

charliedontsurf Sat 20-Feb-16 10:13:22

Thanks everyone. She still has a temperature but seems in a good mood, she's laughing at the tv and playing with toys. Still waiting for useless husband to get me a thermometer as he's in bed angry I will take her to a Dr if she gets worse today.

Thanks for the help and ideas

charliedontsurf Sat 20-Feb-16 10:14:56

Sorry I should say, usually she loves taking medicine and cries when it's all gone because she wants more! She had some more this morning and gulped it down so I take that as she's feeling a bit better

LittleBearPad Sat 20-Feb-16 10:28:55

It sounds like she's in the mend now OP. They bounce back quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now