Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

'middle ear effusion' in older children anyone?

(5 Posts)
gymboywalton Tue 16-Feb-16 13:52:24

my 12 year old has this apparently
needs a referral to an ent clinic

breathes loudly and has a snotty nose but no history of ear infections or anything

says his hearing feels a bit 'muffled'

anything i can find on the internet seems to be about tiny children

gymboywalton Tue 16-Feb-16 15:01:40


gymboywalton Tue 16-Feb-16 18:01:53

one last bump for the evening people

greencybermummy Wed 17-Feb-16 23:16:04

Can happen to older children and adults. Friends husband had grommets recently in late 40's! Much less common than young ones obviously. You don't always get infections with glue. Can he blow his nose?
Hope the 'muffled' sound can be sorted out.

Katie0705 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:12:00

This is not uncommon, and the referral to the ENT specialist is spot on.
If the problem is 'glue ear' then this can be treated easily with grommets.
Hopefully you should get an appointment for the ENT clinic very soon.
Hearing is usually affected, but once treated it should be back to normal.

I hope this gets resolved soon
Best wishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now