Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Permanent teeth possibly missing?

(20 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Tue 16-Feb-16 08:03:41

I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Ds (almost 8 yo) has been missing his upper lateral incisors for ages. One has been out for almost 10 months. The dentist is just taking a wait and see approach.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else experienced such a long wait for permanent teeth to come through?

Has anyone's dc permanent teeth been missing and what did the dentist do? Do you know what the cause was?

Tia

IrenetheQuaint Tue 16-Feb-16 08:08:31

Has he never had an X-ray?

I have no upper lateral incisors for genetic reasons and now have implants there instead (which are great, but expensive!).

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 16-Feb-16 08:11:21

No X-ray, the dentist wasn't keen on doing one. He seemed to think that there was no point at this stage as there is nothing that can be done yet anyway.

Sunseed Tue 16-Feb-16 08:12:56

My DS had an Xray last year to establish that one tooth was missing and the dentist will refer him to an orthodontist at 13 when his mouth is more fully grown.

Readysteadyknit Tue 16-Feb-16 08:20:51

One of DS's front teeth did not appear. When he was about 12 or 13 he had an operation to reveal the tooth and a gold chain was fitted to pull the tooth down. He then had braces fitted

CMOTDibbler Tue 16-Feb-16 08:23:15

Ds was missing his canines for a good year while he had adult teeth all around. The dentist said they'd come in, and they did.

snozzlemaid Tue 16-Feb-16 08:28:24

Both my dcs had a tooth that took a long tine to come through. They both had X-rays to check the adult teeth were there, which they were.

OwlMother Tue 16-Feb-16 08:30:15

DD (12) has missing canines. I also had/ have missing teeth and because of this she was x-rayed relatively early, when she was 8. Since then she has been under the care of the Hypodontia clinic at the Dental Institute in the city where we live, where she sees the consultant paediatric dentist and the consultant orthodontist every six months.

As yet they haven't actually done anything. She still has several teeth to lose before they can look at orthodontics. Her teeth were late to come in so are late to fall out. Until they all come in the Institute won't decide how to respect the teeth. They are likely to create a bigger gap so that a bridge can be used and eventually implants. DD's situation is complicated with tiny teeth, and virtually no enamel on the back teeth. It feels a bit like she is doomed!

However from our experience your dentist is right, they do adopt a wait and see approach and don't like to interfere where they don't have to. In DDs case the missing teeth seem to be hereditary, although both my DSs have all their teeth, my DB also has some missing. In our cases the teeth were bigger than DDs so we just had our teeth respaced, so several years of braces later my teeth are pretty perfect. I'm sure similar will be able to be done for your DS if necessary.

Uptownfuckuup Tue 16-Feb-16 08:30:52

my son is 8
he is yet to loose a baby tooth
he is yet to get his molars

he is being referred to the hospital

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Tue 16-Feb-16 08:32:22

He's not even 8 yet, don't worry. Ds lost his tooth next to the front tooth ages ago and no sign of an adult tooth, I think it came out a bit early (banged his face and made it wobbly) the front 4 and back 4 come through earlier than the rest.

stoopstofolly Tue 16-Feb-16 08:38:58

My DD has a few adult teeth that just haven't come through after her baby teeth came out. We had an X-ray and apparently they are impacted- there's just not enough space in her mouth so they don't erupt.
We're having remediation treatment to expand her palate/ upper jaw prior to her getting braces once there's enough room. It's hoped the teeth will come through once room is made.
The problem is the NHS don't fund remediation work- only braces once all perm teeth are through. In DDs case this would mean her having to have lots of teeth out to make room, so we're paying privately for the remediation work.
If I were you I'd insist on an X-ray at least. DD is just 10 and the dentist we saw said that she should have been having the work from about age 8.

ArmfulOfRoses Tue 16-Feb-16 08:56:56

Ds was the last in his year to lose top teeth, he was almost 9 and he only lost the last one due to a knock to the mouth.

I had mentioned the lack of wobbly teeth and the dentist said it's very rarely due to there being no grown up teeth in the gum and he x-rayed there and then, took about 30 seconds.

He does have teeth waiting and one has since come through.

Our dentist is private so I'm not sure if that makes a difference with him being so willing to do something to reassure me?

fuctifino Tue 16-Feb-16 09:02:11

My dd lost her first tooth aged 9. The dentist did mention the lack of adult teeth being a possibility.
After a wait and see approach, aged 13 she now has all her adult teeth.
I didn't worry about it. Dentistry is so much more advanced from years ago that I knew she wouldn't be left with an 'ugly' mouth.

HelenF35 Tue 16-Feb-16 09:05:22

My canine didn't come through at one side. I still had my baby tooth at 17 years old. Finally had an X-ray and it was out of place in the roof of my mouth. I had an op to move it back into place and braces for two years.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 16-Feb-16 09:19:19

Thanks for all the replies.

His baby tooth fell out over 10 months ago. The other one fell out 2 months ago.

The dentist wasn't keen to X-ray he said it's unnecessary exposure as ds is still quite young. He said we could probably X-ray at the next 6 month check up if the teeth still haven't arrived.

It sounds as though there is no straightforward answer.

I did think that the tooth was just a bit delayed but I'm now starting to think perhaps they are both missing or impacted. It's just strange that neither are making an appearance.

I would have thought that if there were no permanent teeth then the baby teeth wouldn't have fallen out.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 16-Feb-16 09:22:19

Ds dad has strange upper laterals, they are small and set back in his mouth. I'd never really paid it much attention and just assumed they were wonky teeth.

I'm now starting to wonder whether they are actually baby teeth.

Unfortunately we're not in touch and I doubt he'd know anyway.

vastknapsack Tue 16-Feb-16 10:05:15

DS (17) still has 3 of his first teeth, with no permanent teeth waiting to come through.

We were referred to an orthodontist when he was 15, and the proposed treatment was to remove the baby teeth and move the adjoining teeth forward, filling the gaps at the back with a bridge.

In the end we didn't proceed; his teeth are strong and healthy and there's no way of knowing how long the baby teeth will last. Could be 2 years or 50 years. Also cosmetically, he has small and quite gappy teeth anyway, so the baby teeth aren't really noticeable.

FishWithABicycle Tue 16-Feb-16 11:56:05

In general the baby teeth don't drop out until the growing adult teeth beneath them in the gum gets large enough to wear away the root. So, if the baby tooth fell out naturally (rather than being knocked out in an accident) your dentist will be reasonably sure that the adult tooth is there although it may eventually need some help to get in the right position (not till your child is older though).

I have a relative who has no adult teeth and he just never lost his baby teeth because there was nothing there to wear away the roots. He will probably end up with false teeth as obviously baby teeth aren't really large enough to properly populate an adult-sized jaw. This is very rare though.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 16-Feb-16 12:05:06

That's reassuring Fishwithoutabicycle I did think that the adult tooth pushed out the milk tooth, or something like that.

I expect if it does eventually come through it will be at an angle.

Roomba Tue 16-Feb-16 12:07:53

I have 4 missing teeth - a molar each side, top and bottom! No idea why - they are not impacted and my wisdom teeth came through fine, I've just got fewer teeth than the norm. Never caused any problems, though if I had had them I imagine y mouth would have been ridiculously overcrowded - as it was I had to have two teeth removed and braces so that my canines didn't look like a vampire's teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now