Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please advise what you have used

(14 Posts)
Cheesecrumpets01 Mon 15-Feb-16 11:24:27

DD 3.5 has had a cold/blocked/runny nose for 2 weeks, now coupled with a cough she isn't getting much sleep.
What have you used at night, to stop the constant cough and a mix of streaming nose or blocked so she can't breathe?
Poor thing is pale and exhausted 😟
Are there any cough meds that actually work at this age?
TIA

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 15-Feb-16 11:29:22

make her sleep propped up so raise one end of the mattress or pile it up with pillows and quilts.

lying flat makes it worse.

sterimar saline spray is good for clearing out the nose.

I would also try a multi vitamin. or same floridex syrup from Holland and Barrett.

two weeks is a long time though I'd be inclined to see a dr. congestion can also he a sign of hay fever/allergies so maybe try an antihistamine.

coughing that's worse at night can also he a sign of asthma. without wishing to worry you.

is she wheezy at all?

lots of soup with as much chili and ginger and garlic as you can get away with.

KP86 Mon 15-Feb-16 11:42:10

Vicks on feet (with socks) and chest to help her sleep at night.

Warm drinks and steamy baths to try to loosen the stuff on the chest, and then encourage her to cough it up or blow nose often.

Calpol or Nurofen at night might help at night if she had a headache from sinus pressure or sore ribs from coughing a lot which could be contributing to lack of sleep.

rumbelina Mon 15-Feb-16 12:17:55

Reapply Vicks every 4 hours.

AnotherTimeMaybe Mon 15-Feb-16 13:47:15

Lots of saline drops so that mucus doesn't 'sit' on ears or chest
We also use eldeberry for kids for virus to finish quickly and sometimes propolis but too expensive so not all the time

I second the ginger, garlic comment!
Good luck x

dementedpixie Mon 15-Feb-16 13:50:44

Olbas oil on a hanky in the pillow case. Saline nasal spray. Karvol used to do a great plug in thing but it got discontinued.

Cheesecrumpets01 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:32:53

Thankyou all, for your advice and suggestions. Will be taking her to GP first thing. She hasn't eaten since lunch time, breathing a little quick although nothing like she has done before and temp of 39.6.
Knew something must have been brewing 😟

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 16-Feb-16 08:39:49

hope your dd feels better soon. good luck at the drs flowers

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 16-Feb-16 18:20:46

Did you manage to get an appointment. how is she?

Knockmesideways Tue 16-Feb-16 18:28:36

Hope she's feeling better. We use Calpol Vapour plug in. DS used to be sick with coughs when he was younger - the phlegm used to build up. As soon as I started using these it stopped. You just plug in to the socket, change the refill every night and don't forget to switch off in the morning for safety reasons. We close the door to just ajar so the vapour can build up. Smells pleasant. DS usually coughs for an hour or less then settles down - no coughing during the night and no sickness. He's now 8 and I've used them since he was three. It's the only regular thing I use for coughs and stuffy noses. Mixtures don't work for him.

Cheesecrumpets01 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:22:39

She woke up Tuesday morning with a temperature of 36.9 and bounding around like she was never ill. hmm
Was fine all day yesterday although still snotty and coughing, she had a distubed night last night and woke up this morning tearful, red rings around her eyes and a rash over her torso.
I didn't take her to GP Tuesday as she seemed so much better, now I am thinking I should have done and annoyed with my self for not just going anyway. angry
It's always the way though isn't it, you get an appointment and they suddenly perk up, then a day or two later they seem poorly again. It's just lots of niggling things.

Cheesecrumpets01 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:30:00

This

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 17-Feb-16 09:37:18

It's probably just a viral rash. have a Google of scarlet fever though as that has similar symptoms. high temp, sore throat, headache etc

I would get her seen to be sure it's gone on a long time.

Katie0705 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:17:38

Definitely go to your GP, especially as she is spiking high temperatures. Small children are brilliant at playing and jumping around while feeling poorly.
Keep on with paracetamol and brufen to keep the high temperature at bay, but a trip to the GP is the right thing to do.

Best wishes
Kate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now