Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

rash on Babys face and head

(14 Posts)
Wardy1993 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:30:13

My son is 7 weeks and has had this spotty rash on his face and head for a couple of days. What could it be? He's also quite dry round his eyes and is ears are dry and flakey

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Feb-16 17:48:25

Has he got any other symptoms, like upset tummy or temperature.

ktmummy1 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:05:50

Is it baby acne?

Wardy1993 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:53:00

I think he could be constipated but I'm not entirely sure I feel very novice all of a sudden confused

LIZS Mon 15-Feb-16 19:57:37

Eczema?

Wardy1993 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:34:59

I think it's a possibility but I'm not entirely sure confused I'm really worried about him got an appointment in a couple of days with doc. Am I bad to wait until then?

LuckySantangelo1 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:38:50

Sounds like acne! Try not to worry. They get all sorts of spotty scabby bits!

KitKat1985 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:52:01

If he hasn't got a temperature and is otherwise bright and feeding well etc, I think it's okay to wait a couple of days for the appointment. Hope he is better soon. x

Wardy1993 Thu 18-Feb-16 12:07:00

It's eczema sad

Katie0705 Thu 18-Feb-16 12:52:53

Dry skin is very common in babies, so try not to fret too much....this is not your fault! Keep to the treatment your GP has prescribed, and keep the skin well moisturised so it does not dry out.

I would also suggest keeping away from bubble baths that have perfume in them, and the same for baby wipes if you use them. Water on its own can be very drying, so you might want to try washing and cleaning with aqueous cream. Virgin olive oil for cleaning dry sore areas on bottoms is great e.g. Nappy rash.

What did your GP recommend for washing your babe's skin?

Best wishes
Kate

Wardy1993 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:04:47

I've got zero base and it seems to keep his face moisturised well but it's a pain in the arse to put on him as he wriggles and screams bloody murder for some reason. I've been using water wipes on his bum and sudoxrem as a barrier to prevent rashes so his bum is ok. Will wash with zero base in the water, I had to do this when I was pregnant as I had unexplained rashes so used to it ! Thank you thanks

Katie0705 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:54:44

You made me laugh, as I remember so many occasions where trying to put eye drops in and moisturiser on baby faces turned into quite a battle of wills 😄 Sounds like you have been spot on with what you are doing, it's just a lengthy ordeal for you both. I do hope the problem sorts it self out soon. It's worth keeping an eye out for anything that you think might trigger off the eczema and discussing with your GP, just so you can identify potential allergies.

Best wishes
Kate

Wardy1993 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:18:52

Haha! He's so wriggly and I can't just hold his head still! I tried warming the cream in my hands but he soon became savvy to that shock

sophiaslullaby Fri 19-Feb-16 21:08:58

My DS has eczema that I'm currently treating and have to put moistersing cream on all day - he HATES it too so turned to sneaky measures. I breastfeed so when he's calm I slander the side of the face I can see -the other side I can get on the next feed. Guess it'd work if bottle-feeding as the child is concentrating on feeding.
Other time I do it is at night before picking him up to feed, I have a dim night light so can just about see him. I get cream in hands and just wipe all over his face, wipe excess off on muslin cloth (or over my own hands because HOW dry are they now hands are always in water?!) then pick up and feed. He will fuss/cry but if done quickly it won't overly wake him and the feed resettles him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now