Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temperature in 17 month DD keeps spiking over past fortnight. No obvious cause. Help!

(12 Posts)
KitKat1985 Sun 14-Feb-16 13:23:40

For the past fortnight DD (17 months) has regularly been getting a fever (39c+) and distressed (say maybe 2-3 times a day max). Inbetween these times she is generally okay if maybe a bit ratty. I have taken her to the GPs twice over the past fortnight with no obvious cause found. She has had a UTI before (so I suspected this) but urine sample last week came back negative for infection (although contained white blood cells). No obvious ear infections (also has had these before). GP has said her glands / tonsils are slightly inflamed (but not infected) and therefore feels it's something viral. However DD has no obvious cold or similar and I would have thought if it was viral it would have passed by now. DD's temp just now was 39.6c and she's upset again. sad I'm giving calpol / neurofen as needed but am confused as to what the underlying issue is. Plus me and DH are shattered (DD was up crying until 1am). Any ideas?

Worriedscaredbutstrongish Sun 14-Feb-16 14:31:40

Hi, poor lo. I'm not medical but I'd suggest going back to the gp again until there's an answer. A fever is the sign of an infection.

In the mean time keep her fluids up

KitKat1985 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:24:18

Yeah thank you I'm trying to get fluids into her. I'm a bit reluctant to go back to the GPs because I'm worried she thought I was wasting her time.

HBSBeeches Mon 15-Feb-16 19:39:24

Hello!

I'm not a doctor but have had dealt with high temperatures for the past 4 months with a serious ear infection with my DD who is only 15 months.

I had to keep a log so I knew the patterns developing. Got good at the difference between underarm/ear/head etc!!

Ultimately, she probably has some sort of infection and I'd demand a 7-10 day does of augmentin or a proper diagnosis.

Wishing you all the best

KitKat1985 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:10:53

Thank you HBS. Same pattern today. Periods of being pretty much okay and then her temp starting climbing early afternoon again. Hit 38.8 after calpol (I think it would have been higher without it) and she was hysterically crying, and she was like this for about 3 hours. Then this evening she was running around happily like nothing ever happened. I don't know what's going on. My instinct is telling me that something is wrong though and it's more than a virus. If nothing else it's coming up 3 weeks this has been going on for. I'm stumped. Supposed to be working tomorrow but have a feeling she is going to be sent home from nursery sick again and either me or DH are going to have to go pick her up. I think I'm going to have to go back to GPs and ask for more tests.

Pearlmummy Mon 15-Feb-16 20:19:07

For me, in my experience of my kids who were regularly poorly when they were little, when it goes on this long there is an underlying infection. When my DS was about 18mths I had very similar - back and forward to GP and actually even paed a & e and they really thought it was viral infection but the fever just wouldn't go and after 2 weeks (when I was on my knees!!) it turned out it was a chest infection and she was admitted for a few days. So, if the fever isn't shifting keep going to GP or paed a&e if your hospital has one.

Pearlmummy Mon 15-Feb-16 20:21:35

And never not go because you think you are wasting Dr time. They don't think that. Trust your instinct - if you think it's not right, it's not right. Good luck.

HBSBeeches Mon 15-Feb-16 20:27:44

I feel for you as this was the pattern we had.

I knew something was wrong but I had to push even though I was losing time off work. I was also concerned about putting DD into nursery with all the bugs.

We ended up with a long course of low level antibiotics which worked. But I took control and was pest number one!

Good luck

KitKat1985 Mon 15-Feb-16 20:43:33

Thank you ladies. flowers Think we will have to go back. Might ask to see a different GP (not because the GP we have seen has been bad, just because another GP might have some other ideas). It doesn't help that both times I've taken her to the GP her temp has been normal and she's been acting fine (sods law), so I think the GP might think I'm mad.

Pearlmummy Mon 15-Feb-16 21:55:03

Is that because she is in calpol / nurofen "window". They always seem totally fine then and you think they are better and then they slump as it wears off. Without making her uncomfortable try and time your visit so Dr can see her without meds.

Naty1 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:33:16

Did you find out what it was?
Dd had similar and even though they checked her ears it was ear infection as by the time they could see it one drum had burst (again)

Katie0705 Thu 18-Feb-16 00:54:46

I would definitely go back to the GP, OR Paediatric A&E if out or hours or weekend. Viruses can linger for a good two weeks or so. What you need to watch carefully is when the temperature rises and the recurrent spikes, particularly as very young children are prone to febrile convulsions. Get as much water in your babe as drinks, keep up the regular paracetamol/brufen as this will help with bringing the temp. down. Children are very good at being chirpy one minute and then very distressed when their temperature rises and feeling dreadful. Antibiotics will not treat viral infections, only bacterial. Keep a close eye on her urine e.g. Is it smelly, look darker than usual, any obvious blood, difficulty in peeing.

I hope your daughter gets better very soon.
Best wishes
Kate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now