Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Drs instruction goes against medicine box?

(7 Posts)
JennyC520 Fri 12-Feb-16 16:13:40

Hi, my 7 week old baby has an ear infection apparently and was prescribed an ear spray, 3 times a day. But, the instruction booklet that comes with the ear spray says not for children under 2 years old. So, I did go back to the GP's to ask if this was the correct spray and if I should still use it and she said it's fine... it's not even reduced dosage or anything though.. same dosage as for 2yrs+..

What do you think I should do? I think the dr knows what she's doing... but also instructions and cautions are there for a reason... I don't want to make the infection worse either way.

Seeline Fri 12-Feb-16 16:15:21

Is it something you can buy over the counter. If so, the precautions would be for that reason, the GP can prescribe for smaller children.

SoupDragon Fri 12-Feb-16 16:16:24

Sometimes things can be prescribed for a different age. There's some hayfever stuff for DS 1 I could buy over the counter if he was over 18 but need a prescription for as he is only 17.

Sirzy Fri 12-Feb-16 16:17:58

Like seeline said guidance for OTC drugs is different than when the same is prescribed.

Generally a pharmacist would flag up if there was a problem in what has been prescribed, but if your still worried contact the pharmacist for reassurance

Hope the infection clears quickly

outputgap Fri 12-Feb-16 16:20:25

Is the ear spray also an over the counter medicine? Often the OTC instructions are much more cautious than a prescription, for obvious reasons. So, you are not supposed to buy antibiotic eyedrops, chlorophenicol I think, for the under 2s over the counter, but doctors will happily prescribe for younger patients. Or calpol for tiny babies.

I would definitely go with your doctor's advice.

outputgap Fri 12-Feb-16 16:20:59

Cross post!

MigGril Fri 12-Feb-16 16:34:20

If it was a problem then the pharmacist would have question the prescription as they see the age of the person on the prescription. You could always double check with them.

As others have said the two year old thing is probably if you can buy it over the counter which you can with some ear medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now