Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When should you be back to normal after chest infection?

(4 Posts)
Nospringflower Thu 11-Feb-16 22:16:07

My son has had a viral wheeze diagnosed in the past (needed hospitalised for it) but not had for a couple of years. He has had inhalers to use when necessary and uses occasionally when he has a cough.

Since before christmas he has been coughing away and then got a lot worse a week ago so took him to the doctor. They said they could hear 'crackles' on his chest so gave him antibiotics. He took them for a week (finished Tuesday) and has got better but is still not back to normal e.g. today he walked home from school but after walking up steps this 'triggered' a reaction and so was coughing and breathless.

Not sure what to do (he is a very stoical child so you don't get much sense of whether it is bad or not) - is this just normal recovery after a chest infection or does it suggest that the antibiotics haven't worked?

Thanks for any advice.

Lucyloo1489 Fri 12-Feb-16 22:01:22

My little one suffered from this so much is it something that's happens a lot ??

Imnotaslimjim Fri 12-Feb-16 22:04:02

My DD was left "weak chested" after a chest infection, and gets wheezy after every cold. She's now on long term asthma medication, but the Dr is hopeful that she'll' outgrow' it

Nospringflower Fri 12-Feb-16 22:26:19

Thanks for your responses. I took him to the doctor as he is going away with friends on holiday next week and I didn't want them to have to make decisions. Doctor said his chest as clad just that it would take a few weeks to be completely over it. Want him to come back for asthma investigations if cough persists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now