Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hair loss in child after major trauma

(5 Posts)
stirrupleathers Sun 07-Feb-16 15:03:23

My daughter had acute appendicitis in November. She contacted peritonitus, spent some time ventilated in ICCU then a further complication when her stitches popped open due to an infection.

She's recovering at home now, but her hair is falling out in lumps. I can see her scalp ( when her hair parts, I couldn't before this) Should we just ride this through or should she see our GP?

I'm not sure if this is just because of the trauma her body has been through and it will start growing back soon.

Thanks for reading

Andro Mon 08-Feb-16 00:08:31

A gp visit wouldn't be a bad thing, but it sounds a lot like Telogen effluvium to me - it causes the hair follicles to go into rest state and a few weeks later the hair falls out. The condition generally sorts its self out in a few months.

A severe shock to the system (such as medical trauma) can trigger it.

dratsea Mon 08-Feb-16 01:06:56

Sorry for dd and pleased she is home. I think you are right to blame the illness and yes, should restart growing itself. From memory a hair follicle grows for two years, stops for a year and then the hair drops out and a new cycle begins. Is she on a general vitamin supplement? "Healing" uses up lots of calories (you probably spotted that one!) but also some specific elements, vitamin c for one, I am sure she has plenty of that but zinc is another, and lack of zinc is associated with hair loss.

Perhaps discuss with pharmacist, he will be happy to suggest a general supplement, even if it is treating you rather than her!

stirrupleathers Mon 08-Feb-16 07:13:22

Thank you ...I'll speak with the pharmacist!!

stirrupleathers Mon 08-Feb-16 07:14:33

Andro I think I'll wait until next week. Then take her to the drs, I'm hoping the hair loss will slow down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now