Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen

(19 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Feb-16 20:10:45

I know this is done in hospital sometimes, but does anyone know if it's OK to do at home? Ds woke up fine but quickly went downhill, temp was 39.6 calpol brought it down for 2.5 hours then back up to 38.5, it's just climbing I suspect will keep going. Not sure what to do let it help him fight it off or keep it down?

SmallGreenBouncyBall Tue 02-Feb-16 20:13:10

is it just a temperature or is dc feeling poorly?
I wouldn't give anything for just a temperature, only when dc is in pain.

kavvLar Tue 02-Feb-16 20:13:13

Yes it is fine. Done it with both dds where needed. Hope ds feels better soon flowers

gruffaloshmuffalo Tue 02-Feb-16 20:15:40

You can alternate if symptoms continue or come back before the next dose is due. But it isn't always necessary to use medication to treat a temperature unless the child is upset or uncomfortable.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Feb-16 20:16:37

He's very poorly small with a painful chest. Came out of hospital stay last week for viral wheeze and seems to have turned bad, no wheeze but painful and temp. He spend a lot of time in hospital with a wheezy cough but very rarely had a temperature so it usually means something nasty for him

MyFriendsCallMeOh Tue 02-Feb-16 20:16:49

I've done it when dd was little but following advice from the nhs helpline, can't remember how long they said to do it for but it brought her temp down and kept it down.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Tue 02-Feb-16 20:23:02

if he's on pain, then yes you can alternate. make note of each dose so that you don't overdose by accident.
hope he feels better soon.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Feb-16 21:34:51

Ok thanks all. Think I will have to alternate as at 4 hours he's back up at 39.5. It's SSSI rare for him to get a temp this high even though he's constantly ill with viruses.

I think 4 hours is OK with calpol but only 4 times in 24 hours so should be 6 hours really.

balletgirlmum Tue 02-Feb-16 21:42:29

Pharmacist advised just that when ds was younger.

Lovelilies2 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:00:20

Yes it's okay, but by the sound of it I'd take him to docs tomorrow if he's still poorly sadthanks

Boltonlass1972 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:05:16

If you alternate every 3 hours with each, their pain relief doesn't run out and you only give 4 doses in 24 hours. If you're going to miss one in the night, better less ibuprofen. Shouldn't take more than 3 days without seeing gp. Sounds like would be good to take him back if infection not quite shifted. How old is he?

Princessdebthe1st Tue 02-Feb-16 22:16:39

Dear OP,
You don't need to treat a fever in isolation. The temperature is the bodies way of fighting the infection and lowering it can impair that process. There is no evidence that it reduces the risk of febrile convulsions. If however it is because he is in pain and feeling awful then fair enough. One thing that is VERY important to note however is that ibuprofen can be given a maximum of THREE times a day not four like paracetamol. Also if he is worse now than he was when he was discharged from hospital yesterday I would want him to be seen very soon by a HCP. Hope he is feeling better soon.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 03-Feb-16 03:33:09

He has antibiotics from gp buy to be honest he didn't do a very thorough check on him at all compared to what he usually gets. He basically saw his fever and told me to give calpol quickly and gave antibiotics with a very quick listen to his chest he said he couldn't hear anything. Usually doctors listen all over his chest a good few times front and back!

I don't really have much experience of him having a 'chest infection' (only viral wheeze) how long should I wait for the antibiotics to work before worrying?

I know you shouldn't treat fever in isolation and I don't believe I'm doing this, he has a painful chest and to be honest has never had a fever this high and is doing a lot of strange things in his sleep, so I'm quite worried. Lots of talking gibberish and reaching his hand out trying to catch things as if he's having very vivid dreams.

How long should I wait for the antibiotics to kick in and reduce temperature? He's had 1 dose so far.

TakesTwoToTango Wed 03-Feb-16 03:39:51

Call your local out of hours service now. Sounds like he may need to be seen tonight. If he is deteriorating on antibiotics he may need different ones or a stronger dose. I wouldn't wait before seeking qualified medical advice in the circs you describe. No harm done if they tell you to give the current meds a bit longer to work but I suspect they will want to see him. Hope he's feeling better v soon.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 03-Feb-16 03:54:44

Really? But he's only had one dose...

GrinAndTonic Wed 03-Feb-16 04:03:40

New studies are showing that administering paracetamol and ibuprofen for fever may be doing more harm then good. If they child (or adult) is not experiencing any discomfort then it is better to let the fever run its course.

Antibiotics for a viral infection will do nothing except contribute to more antibacterial resistant bacteria. They also take 24 to 48 hours to kick in.

He may have a febrile convulsion if the fever continues unbroken but this is not necessarily a bad thing but can be scary for the parents.

If you are worried then go see the doctor. If they think it's nothing and you wait then all you have lost is time.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 03-Feb-16 04:11:03

I don't think it's a viral infection as it's very different to all the viral infections he's had (lots!)

I think it was a viral infection and has turned bacterial

I haven't given ibuprofen yet, sticking with the paracetamol , will see if he will go longer than 4 hours without waking now as he seems to be in a deeper sleep. Temp still jumps up after 3 hours though.

BarbarianMum Wed 03-Feb-16 12:36:11

I hope your little boy is doing better now. Personally, if I wasn't seeing any improvement after 3 doses of antibiotic I'd be straight back to the GP.

BarbarianMum Wed 03-Feb-16 12:36:51

In fact, if he seems really poorly and/or deteriorating I'd go back after 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now