Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help! what could this be?!?

(8 Posts)
RebeccaRHY1 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:14:51

So fri my toddler nearly 4 yr old was running a cold. Not himself generally. Fri night he woke up in middle of the night boiling hot. We had to give him paracetmol and ibuprofen over a few hrs to finally get his temp down. Saturday was much the same not really runny nose anymore but very tired complaining he cant be bothered to walk etc. eating very littke. Saying he has sore tummy and head. And telling me he feels sick but no actual gagging ir throwing up. Across the day he oplayed fine dosed up on alternate paracetmol iborofen. Sat night boiling once again. Today ok with constant medicine. But by afternoon very tired, conplaining of all the above again.. Just tucked him in and can feel his temp going up.. I'm calling dr in the morning if no better but any ideas!? Flu? Virus? His mouth looks a bit red inside too. But not swollen or spotty like tonsilitis... Thank everyone!

KP86 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:44:20

It's probably a virus, there's one going around at the moment which has the same symptoms as you've described. DS was hit by it.

If temp goes over 40 and won't come down with meds, OR it lasts longer than 48-72hr then general advise is to take to GP or hospital.

We ended up taking DS to a hospital clinic after 48hr and they referred us to paeds department at another hospital who practically rolled their eyes at us and said to take him home and keep up with what we were doing (rest and paracetamol/ibuprofen combo).

BUT: I'm not a doctor, and I haven't seen your son. If you are truly concerned ring 111 or take to a doctor. Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

KP86 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:45:01

Advice**

Eek, can't edit for crap spelling

1fedupmama Sun 31-Jan-16 21:48:47

Recently 'hand foot & mouth' went round our town & that sounds very like that it starts as, it ends up with blister like spots around the mouth, hands & feet. My brother just had the sore feet but my sons friend got it really bad & he had the blistered everywhere even down his throat. Both started off as cold like symptoms then very tired/grumpy & feeling sicky.
It may not be that & may just be a virus but it sounds very similar to how it starts.

RebeccaRHY1 Sun 31-Jan-16 23:11:58

Hes actually had hand foot and mouth before and it did cross my mind as last time
He had an awful fever for a day and threw up a few times. But his fever only last 24 hrs last time and he had clear blister spots all over his hands and feet and a few in his mouth. This has been three days of them type symptoms with no spots.. Can it take that long for it to come out? Or could he be getting it differently because hes had it before?!

RebeccaRHY1 Sun 31-Jan-16 23:21:43

All the heat seems to be flushing out of his face too.. Like hes got bright red shiny cheeks (which is the norm for him whenever hes ill) and flushed rash across his cheeks and ears. His legs and feet are quite cool to touch. Whereas his head is roasting

Cherry78 Mon 01-Feb-16 02:39:44

They usually advise you are seen if presenting with a temperature but cold hands and/or feet.
It can mean a very high temperature but sepsis has also been all over the news this week. In addition it is also a symptom of meningitis. It's probably none of these things, however if it was me I'd definitely be getting my lo checked over by a medic.

RebeccaRHY1 Tue 02-Feb-16 00:54:46

So i took him to dr today. He was concerned about the temp but all checks came bk ok so we were sent away with instruction to push water and rest and let it run its course. Dr believed it to be some sort of virus. He developed a viral rash before we seen dr which he still has. Son has been in bed most of the day. Very unlike him. But he has eaten small bits.If hes no better tomorrow i'll be taking him bk for further tests. Dr did say i have to keep assessing him and if there are any changes to bring him bk :-( hate seeing him unwell when noone knows what it is! :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now