Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

13 year old daughter poorly can just look straight ahead

(44 Posts)
bkgirl Tue 26-Jan-16 12:41:38

Sorry, hope you don't mind. Just worried about our daughter who is 13. She told me this morning (7:30 am) she had been awake every hour coughing (has a sore throat and I hear an odd cough) but that she could only look ahead, it was sore to look up,down,left or right.
I asked her at 12:20 and she says she has to close her eyes or its too sore, she can still only look straight ahead.
What on earth could it be? I don't really get headaches much, could it be a migrane? Has anyone any clue what it could be?

PotteringAlong Tue 26-Jan-16 12:42:47

My gut instinct says meningitis. A&E. Now.

Wishful80sMontage Tue 26-Jan-16 12:43:50

I'd get her straight to the doctors OP she needs checking over

PotteringAlong Tue 26-Jan-16 12:44:21

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Meningitis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Wishful80sMontage Tue 26-Jan-16 12:44:51

Yes a and e might be for the best actually op

thisismypassword Tue 26-Jan-16 12:45:19

A and e. Absolutely

Lolly86 Tue 26-Jan-16 12:45:50

A&e

BabyGanoush Tue 26-Jan-16 12:45:50

call 111 for advice?

PotteringAlong Tue 26-Jan-16 12:46:11

In fact, if you can't get her there then you are completely justified in ringing 999 for an ambulance

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Tue 26-Jan-16 12:49:57

A&E/999

My brother's first symptom of meningitis was a stiff neck, accompanied by headache behind the eyes/sore eyes. That was the pressure on the optic nerve.

I hope it's something else - sometimes sleeping oddly can put pressure on a nerve in the shoulder/neck and cause a headache - but I wouldn't take any chances.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 26-Jan-16 12:55:48

Agree with all of above, hopefully a minor virus but A+E, now, to make sure.

scribblegirl Tue 26-Jan-16 12:55:50

What everyone else said. Fingers crossed it's nothing but I'd be straight to a&e.

Footle Tue 26-Jan-16 12:56:28

Hope you come back from A&E and tell us she's just got a stiff neck. Good luck.

Waxlyrically Tue 26-Jan-16 12:58:04

I would get immediate medical help for this as a stiff neck, especially not being able to touch chin to chest, can be a meningitis symptom. I really hope it's not this but its not worth taking any chances.

Sairelou Tue 26-Jan-16 12:58:16

Hospital, ASAP. Make sure you tell whoever is on reception that you suspect meningitis.

Hope it turns out to not be that flowers

BertieBotts Tue 26-Jan-16 12:59:09

You must go to A&E immediately. Try not to panic - probably easier said than done with all of the strong advice! It's likely that it's something else and/or it's easily treatable, but speed of response is important here.

Jitterybug Tue 26-Jan-16 13:01:03

As soon as I read the title, I also thought meningitis. Hopefully its nothing, but do go and get checked out please.

MTPurse Tue 26-Jan-16 13:01:40

I completely agree with pp, You must seek medical attention immediately.

OhShutUpThomas Tue 26-Jan-16 13:02:20

A&E. 10 minutes ago.

Hope she's ok flowers

bkgirl Tue 26-Jan-16 14:51:32

Thanks so much, saw your replies and am now in a and e. Triage nurse said best to get doc to check, I know she isn't well because she finds it too sore to look at her iPhone. Neck is sore as are eyes but just in terms of looking around. She isn't light sensitive. Odd one. Anyway glad we are here. Thanks mumsnetters, without you it wouldn't have entered my head. Will give you update when we see doc.

bkgirl Tue 26-Jan-16 15:51:20

Just back smile seen by the registrar who said since she didn't have a rash, nor a sore tum, nor eye sensitivity or swelling he didn't think it was meningitis. He reckoned the eye soreness could come from her cold/sinus giving eye strain. He said just give her some paracetamol.
She still isn't using her iphone, she said it's sore to look down. I gave her some sudafed so hopefully that will help with the sinus problem.
Thanks again all for the wise advice, glad I went up for peace of mind. I will continue to be aware of the symptoms and if any others appear I will go back up.

Jitterybug Tue 26-Jan-16 16:02:19

Glad they have ruled that out, I hope your dd feels better soon and gets her phone out smile.

bkgirl Tue 26-Jan-16 16:20:38

Thanks Jitterybug, very relieved. smile

shutupandshop Tue 26-Jan-16 16:36:31

Rash is a late sign of menigitius.

TolpuddleFarter Tue 26-Jan-16 16:42:49

Yes, definitely keep an eye on her. I am surprised they didn't carry out further tests tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now