Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Persistent glue ear but little effect

(7 Posts)
PeterRabbitisathief Wed 20-Jan-16 19:05:22

DD is 2.4 and was diagnosed with glue ear in one ear as a newborn after she failed the hearing screening and went for several other tests.

She has seen an audiologist regularly since then, with no change. She has low level hearing loss in one ear. She has no speech delay as far as I can tell, her speech is pretty clear for a two year old and in full sentences, lots of vocab etc. She has never suffered an ear infection. I do not notice her not hearing things, even whispers. She has yet to attend nursery/preschool so I guess things could be different in that sort of environment. But I've never noticed it out and about or at playgroup.

Today we saw an ENT consultant for the first time. He recommended grommets but said it was a "grey area" and up to us as it didn't seem to effect her much.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to put her through an unnecessary surgery, and it feels a bit unnecessary right now. But I know things could change as she goes to preschool, both hearing in that environment and being exposed to more germs that could result in ear infections.

I am leaning towards surgery. The consultant basically said "it's very low risk and why wouldn't you want her hearing to be perfect?" But low risk doesn't mean zero risk, so I don't know whether I should.

Going to chat to GP about it I think, but does anyone have similar experience?

Pico2 Wed 20-Jan-16 19:08:57

That's quite different to what we were told, which was something like 'over 30% hearing loss in both ears and having an impact on education'.

Barbie1 Wed 20-Jan-16 19:09:45

When dd was 15 months old she was diagnosed with glue ear, the difference being she suffered each time with ear infections.

She had around 11 within her first 12 months and it was obvious she was in agony. For us a 30 min operation was better for her than having to endure such pain

she is 5 now, the grommets fell out when she was 3....they lasted much longer than they usually do.

She hasn't had any ear issues since.

Pico2 Wed 20-Jan-16 19:11:51

NICE guidelines

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Wed 20-Jan-16 19:13:39

DS is the same age and is seen every so often to check his hearing. He still has glue ear. As everything is progressing fine there was no mention of taking any action, we just go back in a year.
I think the chance of it clearing on its own is pretty high, so I don't think I'd opt for surgery, it seems unnecessary.

PeterRabbitisathief Wed 20-Jan-16 19:16:26

Thanks.

That's pretty much what the audiologist said before the ENT referral. She was only referring us to check her eardrum, as persistent fluid can sometimes damage it, not for intervention. ENT consultant said it looked fine today.

Maybe I'll have a chat with the audiologist too.

2LittleMonkeysJumpingOnMyHead Wed 20-Jan-16 20:38:54

Definitely get a second opinion. I hope they can clear things up for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now