Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD(7) says it stings when she wees

(7 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Thu 14-Jan-16 19:37:16

I can't believe I don't know the answer to this but would that mean it's cystitis? I don't think I've ever had it so I don't know what its like, is it something you go to the doctors for or can you buy something at the chemist?

She's not got any other symptoms, just says that it's a bit sore/stingy when she goes to the toilet, she showed me where it's sore and it seems to be the perineum area rather than her vagina.

Sorry if this is a really obvious question, just trying to decide whether I need to try to get a doctor's appt.

SummerSazz Thu 14-Jan-16 19:39:37

DD has had this and just been sore - I get her too wee while holding cold wet kitchen paper against her bits and then put some metanium cream on as a barrier. This has always done the trick so would try first before gp

ipswichwitch Thu 14-Jan-16 19:40:05

I'd get her to the dr. She may have a uti (water infection), which is picked up by a simple dipstick test - if she does have it its best to get her started on antibiotics asap.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Thu 14-Jan-16 19:44:02

Put some nappy rash cream on tonight if you have it. Make sure she drinks lots as concentrated urine will exacerbate the issue. If it's not any better by the morning, see your GP as she may need antibiotics for a UTI.

ohdearlord Thu 14-Jan-16 19:44:32

DD gets this a lot (from constant swimming). Pouring water from a jug over herself whilst she's weeing (like MN tells new Mums with stitches to do) can help. But if it's still like it in the morning go to the GP for a test and ABs.

If she gets nasty back ache and/or fever overnight I'd ring OOH.

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 14-Jan-16 19:52:20

Thanks all, so it's more likely to be a UTI than cystitis? I'd assumed there would be other symptoms with that? It doesn't seem so bad that she is getting upset going to the toilet, she just told me matter of factly that it stings a bit.

I'll put nappy cream on it now and see how she is in the morning. Will have to make emergency appt with doctor otherwise we won't get an appt for a couple of weeks.

VashtaNerada Thu 14-Jan-16 19:54:01

Probably thrush or a UTI, very common in little girls according to my GP. Get her seen sooner rather than later because it gets much more painful if untreated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now