Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does your child have ear pits?

(9 Posts)
Trace38 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:40:21

My 6 week old daughter has ear pits. Just keen to hear from anyone who has a child with them to find out how you clean them and whether they've caused any bother/infections?

youlemming Tue 12-Jan-16 20:51:56

My 5m old DD has on one ear and had no issues with it, not treated it any differently really just wash her as normal.
A friends DD has one also which seems a bit deeper and they said she very occasionally gets what looks like a white head on it but not sure what they do.

If you do want to clean it I would just wipe over with a cotton bud.

ginmakesitallok Wed 13-Jan-16 13:21:57

My dd (12) has one, until today I never knew what it was. She's never had any issues with it, she never even noticed she had it until a few months ago. No infections or anything like that, though she has let me squeeze it a couple of times when it's looked like a big blackhead.

SexNamesRFab Wed 13-Jan-16 17:44:54

DD2 (4yo) has one. before today I never knew it was a 'thing', I just presumed it was a sort of dimple. She's never had any trouble with it so I've left it well alone.

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 13-Jan-16 17:48:47

DS has one. I always refer to it as the bit that didn't finish being made as he was born early (all of 3 days).

He hasn't ever had any trouble with it (he is 18now)
What are they?

youlemming Wed 13-Jan-16 22:44:47

They are congenital malformations usually at or close to where the ear joins the head. You are correct in what you say with it being the bit that didn't finish, how deep they are can vary and they can also form as a nodule rather than a pit.

TheDailyWail Wed 13-Jan-16 22:46:34

My children do - they used to fill up regularly, not so much now sadly. grin

shockedballoon Wed 13-Jan-16 22:53:50

Both DS's ears have pits. One is a bit deeper than the other. The deeper one sometimes gets a bit of gunk in it which looks like a tiny flake of dry skin. When coaxed / squeezed out it's like a small blackhead. The other one is not as much fun doesn't.

ImNotShpanishImEgyptshun Wed 13-Jan-16 22:58:02

DD is 7, and they've never gone gunky or needed cleaning. Very odd, no one else in the family has ever had them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now