Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Experience of using Elidel cream on a child under 2?

(5 Posts)
BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 17:55:50

DS is 17 months old and has fairly bad eczema on his face. It's basically constantly red and sometimes flares up. We can't find any cause at the moment. He's had steroid creams (Fucidin-H and occasionally Eumovate), which calm it down a bit. However, nothing works to remove it entirely (we've tried everything: Aveeno, Diprobase, petroleum jelly, Epaderm, Cetraben and a few others I can't remember).

The Dermatologist has now suggested using Elidel cream. She has prescribed it fairly widely for under-2s, but off-licence, as it hasn't been fully tested for that age. DH and I are nervous about using something unlicenced, but at the same time, it's not doing his skin any good to be constantly inflamed and red. She encouraged us to have a think about it, but I've looked online and can't find much.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 11-Jan-16 20:19:20

Many medications aren't licensed in children because the drug companies aren't able to perform clinical trials in children. This doesn't mean they're unsafe as the drugs are widely used.
My DS has eczema although I haven't heard of that cream, we had various steroids and moisturisers prescribed by the dermatologist but luckily they worked a treat.

BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 21:01:21

Thanks, Jibber. The dermatologist said it's an immune suppressant, so it stops the skin from reacting, or something.

GraciesMansion Mon 11-Jan-16 21:06:41

Yes my ds had it prescribed at about the same age as yours. Cleared it up almost overnight, it was like a miracle cure. No ill effects, only on it for a short time and closely monitored. I would go for it. Drugs are prescribed off-license all the time, especially for children.

BelfastSmile Mon 11-Jan-16 21:56:12

That's good to know. DS has a terrible time sleeping because he's so itchy. I'm strongly tempted by anything that might help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now