Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bedwetting alarm and/or desmopressin

(6 Posts)
Bogburglar99 Wed 06-Jan-16 10:02:55

Hi there

Thanks for any advice or experiences. DD is 7 and a half, and still needs a pull up at night (every night). She's been under the enuresis clinic for this and daytime wetting, diagnosed with an overactive bladder. Oxybutynin has sorted out the daytime wetting and urgency almost completely smile

She was given an alarm not long before Christmas. So far, it's appearing to be bugger all use - she is continuing to wet twice a night and not waking to the alarm. We have a repeat appointment in January and I'm not quite sure what the next step is. NICE guidelines say if no initial response in 4 weeks try desmopressin, but I don't just want to add to her medication list for the sake of a dry bed. Medication for occasional events like sleepovers would be welcome but I am not sure if it works that way.

If you had an alarm prescribed, how long did it take to show any results and did you move on to medication? Advice much appreciated.

OohMrDarcy Wed 06-Jan-16 10:06:26

I didn't have one prescribed but bought one at my 5.5 year olds request.

When the alarm goes off are you completely waking her up? Our instructions said if he slept through to wake him completely, he needed to go to the loo (even if he'd completely emptied his bladder), after a week or so he started waking and had wee'd less managing to do some on the loo
within a month he was dry, but I admit it was an exhausting time!

Now though - he's dry all night, occasionally wakes for a wee, but often doesn't even need one until morning - it was our saviour! Though they do say they only work if the child really wants to get dry too, not so much if they aren't bothered.... DS really wanted to go for a sleepover at his cousins but also didn't want them to know he still wore a pullup

PrincePondicherry Wed 06-Jan-16 10:12:24

Watching with interest. We tried Desmo and it didn't work. Now have the alarm prescribed again and it still isn't working. sad

WestCoastDreamin Wed 06-Jan-16 10:18:14

We had two attempts at the alarm - the first time he (almost 7) wore it every night for 3 weeks and it didn't go off once; dry every night. Great, we thought, must have been a subconscious thing...stopped using alarm and he started wetting again. Went back to the alarm and he slept through it, absolutely soaking, every night for weeks. After about 2 weeks, we were considering quitting (through tiredness) when it started wakening him and, although wet, would manage a few drops in the toilet. Within another week or so he was wakening before the alarm went off. We've had one wet night since then, totally out-the-blue but possibly linked to an oncoming cold/flu bug, but doesn't even wake for the toilet any more.

Best of luck.

Borninthe60s Wed 06-Jan-16 10:29:02

Desmoppression worked for us and was a short term thing but DS didn't have an over active bladder.

Bogburglar99 Wed 06-Jan-16 12:24:54

Thanks very much. She is extremely hard to wake when it goes off at the moment, and most resistant to going to the loo. She was very motivated to try the alarm initially but the reality of being woken nightly is detracting from that!

Will try more vigorously to wake her up fully and see if that helps. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now