Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

nearly 2yo rock hard poos

(9 Posts)
omri Tue 05-Jan-16 07:27:56

Hi there,
My 21 month old dd has lost her appetite completely for the past month (following a week of a bad virus with high temp last month). She'd usually pretty good with her diet but since she was ill she is refusing everything. She is currently living on grilled cheese sandwiches, mandarins, porridge and bottles of (cows) milk. That's it! No variation really for past month (other than random grapes, raspberries, strawberries now and again).

Consequently her poos are now rock hard, green/yellow in colour... And clearly sore to push.

Anything I can do to help her? Other than hope she starts eating more balanced diet soon?

Thanks

VegetablEsoup Tue 05-Jan-16 07:30:55

up the mandarins they are a good source of fibre and fluids.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 05-Jan-16 07:32:32

How much water does she drink? Start with increasing her fluids, but only water or very diluted fruit juice (and not in a bottle because of her teeth), not more milk.

The porridge should be helping her along though, so I can only think that she's not getting enough fluid and possibly too much dairy.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Tue 05-Jan-16 07:34:32

Does she drink much water?

I'd aim for more fruit - if mandarins are ok, maybe peaches or apricots? Tinned will be soft and sweet. Oranges or more red berries?

Can you sneak prunes in somewhere? An Ella's pouch with prunes would probably help.

If she's really struggling, contact GP.

It's so hard to make them eat anything they don't want to!

Jibberjabberjooo Tue 05-Jan-16 10:33:39

My dc have lactulose from the GP for constipation, takes a few days to work. But you do need to cut the milk down and encourage water as much as you can.

omri Tue 05-Jan-16 11:06:11

Thank you so much for replying! You know the way you worry about these things but don't think it's "important " enough to go to gp for.

Yes she drinks lots and lots of water throughout out the day.

It's just so frustrating when they are stubbornly refusing all the foods they usually love..!

Yes she eats fruit like I eat chocolate so will increase that and hope she starts eating proper meals soon again. She hasn't had a "dinner" for a month now- just all these snacks. I'm continuing to offer though...

Noted on the cup not bottle- her bottle definitely is a comfort thing for her.

omri Tue 05-Jan-16 11:08:53

And agree to cut down on her milk. I also think that fills her up and so she's not as hungry. But she screams for it!!! How much is the recommended daily amount at this age? I'm sure she takes double it at the moment!

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Tue 05-Jan-16 17:41:08

Milk fills DS too, he would use it as food sub so I only give breakfast and before bath.

YY to worrying but not wanting GP and also to frustration, this too shall pass smile

omri Tue 05-Jan-16 21:36:16

Thanks peppa!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now