Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Worried about PCV Prevenar 13 Vaccine

(7 Posts)
honeybee93 Mon 04-Jan-16 13:44:37

Hello, I tried posting on Vaccination wall, but it's very quiet on there. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice / share their experiences please?

My DD is 15 months and has had all her vaccines apart from her boosters. She developed facial tics and gut problems after her infant vaccines, so we are worried to give her the boosters.

The main worry is the PCV vaccine as it contains aluminium which we think may have triggered her problems. Did anyone not give this vaccine for the same reason? Would we be completely irresponsible not to give this vaccine?

We're probably going to give the single measles vaccine rather than the MMR, and I think the hib/Men C one.

Thanks in advance!

FadedRed Mon 04-Jan-16 14:01:31

Why do you think the baby vaccines caused the health problems? Was your baby tested for this? If they were related to the baby vaccines, then surely your would have been advised re future vaccinations by your Consultant/Gp?
The amount of aluminium in vaccines is minutely small and gone from the body in a matter of days. Aluminium is also found in breast and formula milk, certain foods and tap water, in greater amounts than vaccine, so do you have to avoid all of those things with your baby?
I think you would do well to get some advice re your baby's best interest's in regard to vaccinations that comes from an appropriately qualified HCP, and discuss the options to make an informed choice.
I hope this doesn't sound too harsh a reply, Op. It is meant kindly as many parents find the vaccination question a scary thing, but it is a good thing to prevent your baby suffering unnecessary, and potentially very dangerous, illness.

honeybee93 Mon 04-Jan-16 14:35:20

We did speak to an immunologist who said that Alum from vaccines stays in the body for 246 days afterwards, she also explained that injecting alum directly into the bloodstream is very different from consuming it. She didn't seem to think PCV was ok to give to child under 2, however the reason I am writing this post is to find out other parent's experiences, as we are still unsure.

FadedRed Mon 04-Jan-16 16:40:19

Honeybee Vaccinations are given intramuscularly, not intravenously, so not 'directly onto the bloodstream'. This sets up an immune response, leading to the production of antibodies. I'd be very interested in seeing the research that says aluminium stays for such a prolonged and exact length of time, as all the research I've read says 'a few days'.

honeybee93 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:00:27

I know this. I was just saying that alum given in vaccines is processed differently from alum which we consume.

I do not want to get into a vaccine debate or be patronised by another Mum. I was hoping for other Mums to share any experiences they have regarding the PCV vaccine, so if you are not able to add anything helpful please do not comment on my post as it's upsetting.

FadedRed Mon 04-Jan-16 17:42:39

Honeybee, I am another Mum, and am not patronising you, just wondering if you have a rounded view of the pros and cons of immunisation. As I said in my first post, it can be difficult for parents to make informed decisions, which I meant to sympathetic to your question.
Up to a couple of years ago I actually ran courses teaching this to Doctors, HV's, Nurses and Midwives, so I really thought I was being helpful. I will stop posting on this thread now.

dratsea Wed 06-Jan-16 11:35:41

Immunologist, as in a medical doctor? "Aluminium stays 246 days" There at 245 and gone by 247? Confused.

But in answer to your original question for advice/experience: our children, and both parents had every vaccine we were offered. In my case, over the years many to protect others rather than myself. Now just about to turn 65 and if offered I will have the PCV (I think I get 23 rather than 13 but also think both are adsorbed onto aluminium phosphate).

Re: MMR, if you give her single measles, you are going to get dd vaccinated for rubella as well? or at least get her tested for antibodies when her periods start? Age 40 my rubella titre was low so I had a booster as I was in contact with potentially pregnant mothers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now