Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Too much milk?

(3 Posts)
Blankiefan Sun 03-Jan-16 22:52:04

DD turned 2 in October. She has a good diet - mostly home cooked family meals (spaghetti Bol, curries, stews, chilli, etc) with the occassional chicken nugget/sausages fall back. Eats lots (nursery regularly comment on this!). A couple of snacks each day (usually a couple of crackers/fruit/those Bear fruit paw things/goodies crisps/etc). Very occassional biscuit if we have guests (she's had chocolate about half a dozen times ever, no sugar based sweeties) she's a Normal weight.

She likes her milk and especially lately. She had a bad cold recently and went off her food (totally worryingly) but guzzled a lot of milk. She's back munching at her legendary levels again but her milk consumption remains pretty high. I reckon about a pint and a half a day of full fat.

I'm starting to wonder if this is ok - it's not limiting her other calorie intake. She's not putting on weight - we weigh her about once a month and it's pretty steady. Should I be restricting her intake / moving her to semi skimmed?

dementedpixie Mon 04-Jan-16 09:18:10

As long as it isn't affecting her appetite I wouldn't worry but they only really need about 300mls of milk at that age. Semi skimmed is an option from age 2 but full fat milk is fairly low fat anyway (only about 4%)

Iammad Thu 07-Jan-16 19:22:30

I can't see it being to much of a problem if she isn't gaining weight to much and not effecting her eating.
You can always give her semi skimmed milk some of the time instead of full fat if you get concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now