Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High temp and cough

(4 Posts)
Whitecoconut Sun 03-Jan-16 05:08:53

My teenage dd started on Thursday with a high temp of 39 celsusis and a cough. Been seen at the polyclinic on Firday and Dr prescribed her antibiotics because of the high temp. Dr checked her ears, throat and chest, all clear except a slightly red throat. Today her temp remains the same, only comes down with paracetamol to just under 38 celsusis. This is her second day on antibiotics. I'm thinking maybe she has flu so antibiotics is not working cos it's a virus? Can you get flu with just a high temp and cough? What should I do? Should I take her back to Dr today?

antimatter Sun 03-Jan-16 05:14:48

She may have cold. Not flu.

Sone takr several days to get better.
As long as paracetamol lowers her temperature there's no need to see the doctor as she won't get anything else.
Lots of fluid and bed rest.

jimijack Sun 03-Jan-16 06:06:03

Agree, antibiotics if they are going to work will take at least 48 hours to kick in.

Fluids, paracetamol and/or ibuprofen if her throat is sore.

Temperature is fine, natural reaction to infection, should not be lowered but symptoms eased with medication.
If she is ordinarily a fit & healthy kid, she should be able to clear this herself.

No point in taking up another Dr appointment ( unless she deteriorates), just fluids, ice follies, medications should do it.

Whitecoconut Sun 03-Jan-16 15:14:11

Thanks for your replies.
Her temp has come down to around 37.7 this morning. Last dose
of paracetamol was last night at 12am. Now it is going back up to 38. Is it normal for fever to run this long? This her fourth day of fever and she started antibiotic 48 hours
ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now