Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temperature going up...

(3 Posts)
AlfieandIsaacsmummy Sun 27-Dec-15 18:13:28

Hi all, hoping someone can give me some advice - we took our 5 year old to the out of hours doctors today and he has a chest infection. At the time his temp was up but not so much to be alarmed, 37.7. Since then and although taking calpol his temperature has risen to 38.5 - would you suggest calling the doctors back or waiting to see if it goes down? He is fine in himself apart from his cough

acupofteafortwoormore Sun 27-Dec-15 18:45:51

What did the the doctor say? If it is an infection did he get antibiotics?

The temperature is the bodies way of fighting the infection illness.

If it was me I would not worry until it was 39+ & not coming down with calpol & ibuprofen.

With a chest infection I keep an eye on breathing rate & how hard they are working to breath as well as the temperature.

But you know your child & if you are concerned or something does not feel right, trust yourself & no harm in ringing 111

Jibberjabberjooo Sun 27-Dec-15 20:43:31

I wouldn't worry about a child with a temperature of 38.5. It's high but not very high. He has an infection so a temperature won't be unusual.

The recommendation nowadays is to let the temperature do it's job unless the child is uncomfortable or in pain. Encourage fluids, don't wrap them up and give paracetamol if he's miserable.

I wouldn't contact them if my child had a temperature of 38.5, no. Unless they had other symptoms such as difficulty breathing or were lethargic. Have you got any nurofen too as that also helps a temperature and pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now