Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler drinking excessively

(9 Posts)
missy111 Sat 26-Dec-15 18:24:03

My 2yr old has started drinking so much. In the last 4 days he has starting asking for drinks of water regularly, including at bed time which he has never done before. Consequently, he is having leaky nappies at night.
He has always had a good appetite, but even by his standards he his eating loads!

Any ideas? I'm thinking down the diabetes line, but would there be other symptoms to see?

BlackSwan Sat 26-Dec-15 20:48:08

There's also diabetes insipidus - which is completely unrelated to diabetes... it's caused when the body stops producing anti diuretic hormone. I would ask your GP for advice.

CustardLover Sat 26-Dec-15 20:55:25

Has there been a change in diet given it's Christmas? More salt perhaps? I agree that you should see the GP though, better safe etc.

MadauntofA Sat 26-Dec-15 20:55:59

Is he eating different richer/ saltier type seasonal foods? Or running around a lot more? Diabetes is quite rare in his age group, but if he becomes unwell then obviously seek medical advice

Toomuch2young Sat 26-Dec-15 20:58:29

Definitely get him seen without hesitation. My friends son developed diabetes young and any change like this must be seen withou delay. Any doctor would prefer to see a child even on a bank holiday and it be nothing than wait when is a chance could be serious.

Whattheuh Sat 26-Dec-15 20:58:43

Could be kidneys problems?does he look puffy at all?expecially around the eyes?pale?i would take him to get his irons checked

Whattheuh Sat 26-Dec-15 20:59:07

Urines sorry

missy111 Sun 27-Dec-15 07:20:16

Thanks all
No change in his diet, he has multiple food allergies,so we keep to a fairly strict diet all the time.
Only thing we've noticed is he looked a bit pale at times, but put that down to tiredness from all the excitement!
If he's the same this morning, I'll call 111 and get an ooh appt

Thanks again

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 27-Dec-15 07:22:06

Yes definitely get him checked out - make sure the Dr does a blood prick to test his glucose levels.

I really hope it is nothing serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now