Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

molluscum

(9 Posts)
TTwidow Sat 26-Dec-15 08:28:23

Has anyone's child had this virus? DS has it and Dr says there is no treatment and it has to run its course but was wondering if anyone has any useful tips at all.

Idefix Sat 26-Dec-15 10:42:52

It will really go by itself. Rarely I see children with complications such as infection where individual spots have been scratched - treated with abx. A colleague offered to histofreeze a collection of spots on a child's knee, it did not help especially and was painful.

Hopefully ds will have a mild case that will go quickly.

floooOoooatyfloooOooo Sat 26-Dec-15 10:45:16

My dd had this recently. I posted on here on here about. I covered it so she couldn't scratch it and cause an infection and it went on its own after a month.

Neeko Sat 26-Dec-15 10:47:31

Suspect my DD has this too. Hoping to see doc later this week. She has dry skin around it which I'm treating with diprobase. It's on her back so easy to keep covered and I'm being careful about her sharing towels/bath water etc.

dementedpixie Sat 26-Dec-15 10:48:37

Both mine have had it. Tried a few things that didn't help and it went away on its own

CoteDAzur Sat 26-Dec-15 10:52:20

Of course, there is treatment. What passes for healthcare in the UK is shocking, imho.

Take him to a dermatologist. He will scrape them and plaster over them. I did this with DD. It took two minutes and they never came back.

whothefuckhas5children Sat 26-Dec-15 11:19:02

Mine have had these. Bathe children separately from those that don't have them, don't share towels etc

You might be lucky and most go away on their own. My children's didn't and after a year of bathing separately I was due another child and didn't want the new born to catch it. A few trips to a dermatologist cleared them up wish I had done it sooner

BlueBlueBelles Sat 26-Dec-15 11:36:13

Ds2 had this horrifically. All over his face and eyes. There is a treatment, a cream, but it's expensive so GPS don't like prescribing it. Molludab. we went in and specifically asked for it.

TTwidow Sat 26-Dec-15 15:23:26

Thanks for the replies.

He's had it for about a year and only has about 2 spots at any one time. My kids do bathe separately but I think I will try averting them with plasters. DD now has 2 small spots which I'm really hoping is not the start of it for her.

It's interesting to her about going to a dermatologist. I think I'll ask the GP about that in the new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now