Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I take DD to doctor? Or is it just fatigue?

(5 Posts)
almostfinished1514 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:40:35

DD (who is 15) doesn't seem to sleep much - during the week, it ranges from about 7.5 hours - 4.5 hours and at the weekend, she'd sleep far past 10 o'clock if I didn't wake her up. Even after 10+ hours , she's incredibly tired. One of the reasons she's going to bed late, is the increased amount of homework she's getting toppled with her ridiculous amount of ECs - The school play's over now, so she should be able to start going to be earlier. There are other reasons, but I know this is going to be long, so I won't state them.
I've notice for a while now, that she's been finding it hard to concentrate more (probably due to tiredness), but also, she seems to forget what she's talking about and also forget really simple words in the middle of her sentences and she gets the ending wrong on words i.e. perspective. She also complains a lot of feeling light headed and faint - but she's got low blood pressure, so I don't know if this is related?
She gets a variety of head aches. Some, she's had for years and has named them so we know what they are i.e. Sunday headache = Needs to take allergy medicine, but she's got a new one recently and she says it makes her head feel like it's caving in and it often "stays" for a few hours.
Finally, on Saturday she was walking with her friend on a bridge (DD used to be scared of this bridge, but now isn't) and she felt the bridge wobble and she asked her friend if she felt it, and her friend was adamant that the bridge didn't shake. This happened again. The bridge probably didn't shake because it happened again when DD was on the pavement.
I don't know whether to take DD to the doctor or not - she's on holiday, so she wouldn't be wasting school, and I'm off work so that wouldn't be a problem - but is it just because she's really tired? All the symptoms seem to be related to fatigue or low blood pressure, but I'm not 100% sure....
Ideas?
Thanks,

Tate15 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:15:45

If she has started her periods I would give her a vitamin b supplement and extra iron after you've had her checked at doctors and they find nothing wrong.

almostfinished1514 Mon 21-Dec-15 15:19:53

Tate15, I'd be concerned if she hadn't started her period...
She gets blood tests every few months for various ailments and she's got a vitamin D deficiency (which she takes tablets for), and nothing else.
I'm going to take her to the Doctor either this week or next week and we'll see.
Thanks,

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 21-Dec-15 18:03:33

Tiredness and forgetting what you're saying can be thyroid related. I have an under active thyroid and it's like being in a mind fog.

almostfinished1514 Mon 21-Dec-15 22:28:56

Jibberjabberjooo - thanks for that. (I don't mean to sound sarcastic). I looked up symptoms for hypothyroidism, and she seems to have most of them...
I'm (obviously) not going to diagnose her myself, but it would explain a lot.... It also made me consider other symptoms she displays that I would have thought were completely unrelated...
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now